I Forge Iron

Is this a good value?

New here and this is my first post. Just starting out blacksmithing and need an anvil. Was just going to find a length of railroad track to start out with, when I found this on craigslist. From what I've found, Arm and Hammer made really good anvils. Asking $200 and gave the approx size, front to back 25", 3" wide, 9" high. No weight mentioned. It looks like it'll need some cleanup and there's a chip on the front of the face. Any problems this newbie is missing or anything I should know? All help is appreciated.

anvil 1.jpg

anvil 2.jpg

anvil 3.jpg

I doubt it will be for sale very long. You'd better move quick, any name brand anvil in decent shape for $200 is going to be gone instantly. Probably around 100#.   If you get it, please post a picture of the serial number on the front foot under the horn. The ballpark year it was made can be told from that. Good luck!

The edges look decent, minus that chipped area.  And there's no noticeable sway to it.

A light anvil that's easy to move around -- very desirable and quick to sell.  If you can get it for $200, feel good about it and get started hammering metal.

Good point, however a dead anvil is going to be obvious with or without a layer of surface rust, while one that has decent rebound remaining is still going to bounce a 1" ball bearing at least 6-7" from 10."  I've tested some pretty grungy anvils in barns + machine sheds covered in all manner of grease, bird droppings, dust, paint and rust... generally a few swipes with the edge of a credit card are enough to knock off anything that will seriously impact the rebound test.

That was a good deal, too bad you missed it. I picked up a nice 1880's Fisher and a pre 1910 Peter Wright for slightly < $2 a pound and the PW wasn't as nice as the one you posted on the face. The Fisher is nice but I bought it more for show, the large date and eagle are pretty cool. Read up on TPAAAT, it works. I never found an anvil with it but I've found tongs, vises and other blacksmith equipment in unlikely places by using it.

CL for anvils can be hit and miss but if one pops up at a reasonable price like that jump on at least looking at/testing it ASAP, they go quickly around here, like in hours. Overpriced (to me: $2 and up per lb. in my AO depending on size) tend to sit there. If it's something I want I always throw them a fair to me offer even still, you never know.