I Forge Iron

Anvil, etc. at auction

There was a big old (315 lb?) Peter Wright at an auction near Mesick, Mi. today. I had a friend bid on it for me because I couldn't make it........the first bid thrown was exactly my maximum!  It was a beauty I'd loved to have had. Any of the members there? They sold an old forge and a bunch of tongs too.

Gunslinger, the forge went for $475, tongs for $17 each(bidders choice of a couple dozen), and the anvil sold for $650. I'd give my left eye tooth for a PR that size and shape (it was in great shape), but I'm just too stingy with my loot! I find it hard to believe the darn things are selling for the prices they are getting. Then again, a couple of vehicles I've owned, if I still owned them, would sell for 2-3 times what they did new. I'm officially and old guy I guess. 

On September 18, 2016 at 5:20 PM, JHCC said:

Why not forge weld them together? Or use lots and lots of superglue.

If it were only that easy :) The right one will find me someday. 

On September 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM, j.morse said:

Gunslinger, the forge went for $475, tongs for $17 each(bidders choice of a couple dozen), and the anvil sold for $650. I'd give my left eye tooth for a PR that size and shape (it was in great shape), but I'm just too stingy with my loot! I find it hard to believe the darn things are selling for the prices they are getting. Then again, a couple of vehicles I've owned, if I still owned them, would sell for 2-3 times what they did new. I'm officially and old guy I guess. 

I definetly would have picked up that anvil at that price if it was nice. I know what you mean about prices but unless your willing to wait $2 a pound isn't bad around here. I probably could have made most of the money back selling my lighter Fisher and PW.  Good luck on the hunt.