I Forge Iron

Steam Driven Blacker hammer

I know of a few that have had the top link "adjusted" to bring the head to vertical over the anvil face, some bent, others upset. 

Can only speculate on why it was needed, favourite idea being that a replacement part was not exactly the same as the original.

May have been a Heinz 57 and made up from bits from a different model...as I mentioned mine has much heavier solid bars, and one is even heavier than the other....the ones on Alan Knight's traversing hammer were much thinner shafts into sockets at either end I seem to remember.

Was it actually working? I can see it has been oiled but not much scale around and the tool surfaces look a bit rusty.

I am thinking of getting a donkey engine to run my 5cwt Massey as I don't have 3 phase here. But maybe a big generator would be easier to set up. Brian Russel had a little combustion engine driving his Goliath direct...the advantage was he could vary the speed as well the blow pressure.

Alan