I Forge Iron

Fire too small

dickb

I am using a rivet forge and the blast is supplied by a hand cranked blower. Plenty of draft. 

The airblast comes in through a flat plate at the bottom of the forge. 

The diameter of the fire is too small for the length of the pieces I am working on. 

Any suggestions how to increase the diameter or at least make it longer in one direction ?

Thanks

With the rivet forge, about the only thing you can easily do is to work the piece back and forth.  You'll have to keep the fire hot and work it.  You'll see how long you need to keep it in one place while moving it to keep as much hot as you can.

You can also use some firebricks to reshape the fire from below, making more of a long trough than an open pan.

What are you making that you need to heat so much length at once? For most things, you can probably just work one shorter section at a time. 

what fuel are you using?  Chunk Charcoal can let you modify your tuyere for a longer fire fairly easily---take a look at how Weygers modified a forge to heat treat anvils made from RR rail in "The Complete Modern Blacksmith".  (It's a bit harder if you use coal but still can be done---does your air supply work for a larger fire?)