I Forge Iron

Anyone ever use old rifle barrels for anythign specific?

I came across 3 old rifle barrels and partial actions. they are not functioning and are fairly rusted but very usable for metal work. I have a couple ideas to use them in basically a metal sculpture application but was wondering is anyone has used them for anything more practical? One is a 22 caliber and 2 are 30 caliber.

I've used barrel "trimmings" to make cowboy hats from pre 1982 pennies: anneal, dish into rounded barrel end, take smooth needle nose  and bend up sides a bit, true up with small hammer.  Did a bunch used as earrings for my church's cowboy dance....Bought the barrel trimmings at quad-state once, had a friend that wanted a few to do some steam punk stuff with and I took the rest...

The .30 cal barrels are probably in the 4140ish alloys. The .22 could be anything-I have an old .22 that has a barrel lined in brass and wrapped in sheet metal. Hamilton boy's rifle, they were giveaway items for selling things like magazine subscriptions.  Barrels are meant to be tough, not hard. 

What brand, and models are they?

On 8/24/2016 at 4:33 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

The .30 cal barrels are probably in the 4140ish alloys. The .22 could be anything-I have an old .22 that has a barrel lined in brass and wrapped in sheet metal. Hamilton boy's rifle, they were giveaway items for selling things like magazine subscriptions.  Barrels are meant to be tough, not hard. 

What brand, and models are they?

I would have to do a little cleaning. I can't make out any writing currently because of the crud and rust. Might have time to clean them up a bit over the long weekend.