I Forge Iron

burning the cream

Hello,

I found your forum while looking for some information about using my propane torch.

I make creme brulee and use a Benzomatic torch to burn the sugar on the cream. Is it OK to use one of these torches inverted? Or angled? I would assume so, because I think they're intended for much less delicate work than burning sugar, but I wanted to make sure. And, the flame sometimes goes out while I am burning the sugar. Is this from being inverted, the tank getting low, or too much movement?

Benzo

Brulee

Thanks!

Ashley.

I have found that using a hand propane torch in a horizontal or inverted manner causes surge and flare up. The tanks were fully charged. (not low on fuel causing low pressure) .Some of the smaller torches seem to work much better that way.(I.e.in a horizontal fashion)

It would be easier to hold the dessert container up and angle it in several was to accomplish the desired browning of the confection.

Pay attention to where you hands and fingers are situated when doing so.

SLAG.

Yeah, sometimes a Bernzomatic torch doesn't work well inverted, horizontally with a less than full tank is usually okay. Sometimes I use one to apply some "golden brown and delicious" to chicken breasts or fish fillets before putting them in the oven. Something that works really well is the little refillable butane hand torches so popular with the crack heads. I found one while scrounging the scene of a tweaker involved roll over and it's kept my Bernzomatic in the shop where it doesn't get asked to perform gymnastics.

However, you can buy an adapter to fit the torch to a hose and a propane tank. These are much more versatile, I used one soldering pipe when building the house and then used the adapter to run the little propane stove till we got the kitchen up and working. The hose fed torch doesn't care how you aim it just don't tip the tank over.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, SLAG said:

Frosty, thanks for the clarification.

SLAG.

Sure, I didn't see your question till I posted, we were replying at the same time. A serendipitous coincidence. The downside I forgot to mention is having a propane tank underfoot in the kitchen. On the other hand if you do a lot of torch caramelizing it could pay off.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just now, rockstar.esq said:

I've used a Mapp gas torch to brown a prime rib prior to an ultra-low temp bake.  Rosy red from edge to edge with a beautiful finish. 

Love that golden brown and delicious and tools are made to be used.

Frosty The Lucky.

to get down to the science of it:  the torch is burning vapour, the tank is holding liquid that vaporizes, invert the tank and you start wanting to push liquid into a system designed for vapour.  Get an adaptor that allows you to use a BBQ sized tank, it will include a hose allowing you to use the burner at any orientation as the liquid stays back in the tank.

Of you can build a forge and make a salamander (old school a heavy steel plate on a handle with two legs that you heat and then hold over your dish to caramelize it)

The torch taste is the result of folk not understanding the tool they're using. You do NOT need to play the flame on the food, the air after the flame is super heated well beyond caramelizaton temps. However, I WILL give playing the flame on the chicken breasts next time I torch sear them. Oh, another torch taste doesn't really happen factor just occurred to me. My Viking range top has a char grill where a so-so almost neutralish propane flame comes just short of contact with the food. I've never noticed a torch taste.

Frosty The Lucky.