I Forge Iron

Finding a name on an old vise and value

JimS

14707865740931970992370.jpgI have an old stand vise that opens up to 7 1/2- 8" and is 41" high with 4 1/2" jaws. It looks like a Hayes but no markings on it that I can tell. Would anyone out there know the make of this? 

Any help would be appreciated.  

1470786657769-794064298.jpg

1470786626816162156822.jpg

Vises are not that rare, and most don't care about makers as many were never marked. I recently bought a really nice complete Columbian for $40 that is the same size as yours. My other vises were free to $20.  

Value to a smith will depend on how good the threads are, and the condition of the screw box.

tons of different sellers and many makers; they were often sold by the pound and some are marked with that number of the ski jump over the handle.

For sale condition makes the money not the maker. (And the condition of the screw and screw box is the largest factor.)  Location makes a big difference too post vises are about twice as expensive out here than where I used to live and both locations were in the USA---where you are at we haven't a clue.

It also looks like a Peter wright, a canedy, a Columbia, an acme, a well all the older vises at some point.  I have over 40 post vise and can't name a quarter of them.  Then you have to look at the fact is it all original?? 

That said you have a nice looking vise.

Thanks for the insight.  The threads and screw box are in very good condition.  Not a lot of wear and no cracks. I see it has 2 small dots (indintations) on both sides of the arms where the jaws are attached. That is about it for markings.  I just sold a very nice 130 lb Fisher Norris Anvil with Eagle logo to a young lad starting out and he asked about the vise. Thus the inquiry. 

So are you wanting to know what to sell it for?? All depends on where you are.  Most of my vise were bought in the $20 to $45 range.  Most all ove them I have repaired and rebuilt.  Some places the $125 to $200 range is not uncommon.  Really depends on place and time, want and need.