I Forge Iron

Question about electricity

alexandr

Iron Dwarf,

I googled it and found this site which provides some insight into the process.  It looks like that company can provide a quote to get your device listed, I would expect they could provide references for reputable firms that wire custom light fixtures.  It's possible they'll have a ready answer to this particular inquiry.

I have no idea what UL requires in order to test a fixture, or what credentials they might require of the person submitting.  I doubt the people submitting fixtures to the UL are electricians because it's not covered in our training, and most electrician's insurance won't cover anything that veers into engineering or design.

UL isn't the only listing agency, it's just the most common in the US.  It's entirely possible that one of the others offers greater reciprocity between countries which would benefit an international business.  Here's a site with a list of them provided.  I hope that helps you.

Alex, 

I showed my wife your work and she loved it. The only reason I don't like chandeliers as much as the next guy is because I am 203 cm tall and they hurt! If you think the US has complex laws I can tell you the laws can be more or less complex depending on what state you live in. Your work is wonderful and I wish you success.

Ernest.

I hold Masters Certs. as an Electrician, as my main source of income. 

I have dealt with UL and a few other testing labs through my old teacher, because He was an engineer in a testing lab, he also worked for NASA.

This topic was covered to near death a few years ago. we lost a few members over the issue of the existing facts of govt rules, vs their feelings getting hurt.

Rules in the NEC exist as a result of fire/deaths in the past, as well as observation and reports submitted to the Board by any engineer, electrician etc. who reviews and may act on thise suggestions. every few years a new code book is issued with updates, even if I personally assemble your light , it would still not be UL listed unless it comes from the listed shop and machinery from the certified testing.  It is a long legal mess.   What you can do, for example: is as a smith you make the lighting fixture, and at the installation point have the licensed electrician wire it up for that fixture in that location, and have him get the local electrical inspector  certify that as good for that install. and then every one is covered.

there is no affordable and practical way for us as one-man shops to ever hope to produce lighting that is UL listed on any scale.

On the other note I have to I agree your work is wonderful Alexandr

Gorgeous work Alexander. What kind of wood are you using?

Certification can be very expensive. A friend from Germany said it was going to cost around $20,000 to get an infrared heater made there UL listed in the States. And that was just one of a full line of heaters where each model would have to be tested. 

This article may shed some more light on the subject.

http://www.productsafetyinc.com/5-ways-to-make-ul-lighting-certification-easier/