I Forge Iron

Taking the Jump... First Craft Fare Space

So, just wanted to thank everyone on Iforgeiron for all the encouragement since I started my blacksmithing journey.  Because of the knowledge I have gained, plus a little pushing by some friends, I have booked a spot at the craft fair of our local county fair, and will be setting up my first display table to sell my wares.  (For the amazingly low price of $5, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. lol)

So, I've got three weeks to finish knocking out as much stuff as I can.  Sounds like a lot of time, but when I think about it... just a couple of hours of forge time each night after work... its really not much time at all.  Plus I've got two knife commissions to do during that time as well, so gonna be busy busting some stuff out, but wanted to come by and thank everyone on here for all of the great knowledge they have shared.  This forum has been invaluable and I tip my hat to you all.

$5? What are you making for $5?

Your MAIN selling point isn't some bit of hardware you can buy at a big box store what you're really selling is bragging rights. Even "S" hooks are minimum $10.00 and you'll be amazed when $14.95 sells better. Put a twist in the shaft and it's an easy $14.95 ea. A leaf finial coat hook should be around $19.95 but give them a break for a set say knock $5.00 off for buying 4.

Do NOT undervalue your work, you're selling your skills and talent, not bits of steel, Steel is cheap but bragging rights cost. Nobody brags to visitors about how little the artwork in their parlor cost. If you're going to sell hand made you're selling your hands, eyes and mind and the unique creations your years of learning and experience bring to the table.

When I sold at demos I found under $20.00 and fits in a pocket or purse sold like hot cakes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Heap,

Just saw you're out in Traverse City.  I don't know what sorts of things you typically make but that's a pretty hot spot for folks who travel around to see lighthouses.  I could see forged lighthouse keyrings and doo-dad's  being a hot ticket among them, especially if it says Traverse City on it somewhere.  I had no idea lighthouses were that popular until I met a girlfriends mom who collected mini lighthouse mementos from all the ones she'd visited. 

Just looked up Travers City festivals, and got the following.

Cherry festival, so cherry themed items....Pitters, pie cutters, key fobs, 

Micro brew and Music festival....bottle openers, guitar racks, etc

Wine and Art festival...corkscrews, wine racks, etc.

Great ideas, everyone.  And Frosty... yeah, the booth rental is five bucks.  LOL. 

Cherry fest is going on now, but they charge way to much for a booth for a lowly beginner blacksmith.  As for the other festivals, they are all about drinking... we have a ton of micro breweries, and we're big wine country up here, but they don't have crafters at any of them.  The bottle openers and cork screws would still probably be huge though. 

Since this space is so cheap, even if I sell one lowly s hook, I'll have doubled my money, but figure it will be a good learning experience on a few fronts.  I can see what kinds of things sell, but I will also get a sense of what I am able to turn out in a set amount of time, so I can maybe plan ahead for a few more shows next year.

It's a good price for a "learning to talk to the public at a fair or demo" lesson. It sounds like a good gig even if all it does is get your name out there. Cheap publicity is excellent stuff you know.

Frosty The Lucky.