I Forge Iron

Chance to Connect with AK Smiths?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard, glad to have you, if you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised there ARE folk on Iforge who know were  the Kenai is. ;) Heck I think there are even a couple few live down that way.

That hardware store anvil is almost undoubtedly a cast iron ASO, too soft to be much use forging. Keep your eyes open for a piece of rail, steel shaft, etc. I'm fond of a broken truck axle mounted flange up as an anvil. They work very nicely in fact. The amount of steel under the hammer has more to do with the force returned to the work than it's weight.

What kind of fuel are you going to burn? Good smithing coal isn't easy to find up here, Homer beach coal is so hit or miss it seems to be mostly miss in the forge.

Our next meeting is. 09/24/16 at Pat Garley's, "Arctic Fires Bronze," in Palmer. Sure it's a bit of a commute but you can hit Costco in Anchorage and Grainger for those special hard to find items on your list. Oh there IS EJ Bartells if you need refractory, Kaowool, etc. Oh what the hey it's only what 4 hrs or so each way? Just an afternoon's pleasure cruise.

Hope to meet up.

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard, glad to have you, if you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised there ARE folk on Iforge who know were  the Kenai is. ;) Heck I think there are even a couple few live down that way.

That hardware store anvil is almost undoubtedly a cast iron ASO, too soft to be much use forging. Keep your eyes open for a piece of rail, steel shaft, etc. I'm fond of a broken truck axle mounted flange up as an anvil. They work very nicely in fact. The amount of steel under the hammer has more to do with the force returned to the work than it's weight.

What kind of fuel are you going to burn? Good smithing coal isn't easy to find up here, Homer beach coal is so hit or miss it seems to be mostly miss in the forge.

Our next meeting is. 09/24/16 at Pat Garley's, "Arctic Fires Bronze," in Palmer. Sure it's a bit of a commute but you can hit Costco in Anchorage and Grainger for those special hard to find items on your list. Oh there IS EJ Bartells if you need refractory, Kaowool, etc. Oh what the hey it's only what 4 hrs or so each way? Just an afternoon's pleasure cruise.

Hope to meet up.

Frosty The Lucky.

I havent done a lot to be able to tell if its too soft or not. All ive really done is hammer on a railroad spike and i did a little scroll with 1/4 round stock. 

Right now im using a small bbq with a pipe coming in the side for air. My fuel is charcoal from home depot. Seems to work alright, but again i wouldnt really know lol. I do have a section of RR track and was going to mount that but found that anvil and mounted it instead. 

RR rail makes a fine anvil if you mount it on end it makes an excellent anvil. Same thing as an axle, ask around heavy truck repair shops trucks break axles. Trucks are filled with good steel but till you have some experience it's best to use known stock, buy a stick from the steel yard. You can buy a 21' stick at a steel yard for about as much as a 3' piece at Home Depot. 3/8" sq. is a good size to learn with, it's light enough to get plenty done before you start to loose your arm (get tired) and it's heavy enough mistakes don't happen too quickly to correct.

If you give your anvil a little stroke with the point your pocket knife blade you'll know what too soft is. Unless your knife skates without leaving a mark, then take a file to it for a light stroke, if a file skates you have a gem. I'll bet your pocket knife marks it though.

Your forge is fine. If you ram some damp sandy clay in and scoop out a trench maybe 4" deep and maybe 6" wide with one end open to the side of the forge. Then lay your pipe in the open end and fill it in with soil so it's held about an inch off the bottom. Now you have a proper charcoal trench forge. Easy peasy.

Briquettes aren't the best forge fuel too many additives, mostly the limestone to make it white when it's lit. The lumps being too big and hard is easy to fix, just break it up to say peanut size. It WILL work but it's not great. Lump charcoal works much better, MUCH. You still want to break up big pieces walnut size is good. Smaller size increases surface area so it burns hotter and consumes all the oxy for a HOT fire that won't scale and burn your work. Steel will burn if it's hot enough and there is free oxygen present.

You already have a pretty good start, a little polish and you're off and running. What are you using for a hammer? Don't get something heavy, 32oz drill hammer is my recommendation, heavy enough to be effective but not so heavy it's hard to control and tires you out. The shorter handle is another plus for control. I've had at least one on my hammer rack as long as I've been smithing. Excellent starter hammers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Awesome advice! I appreciate it more than i can express in text.

I plan on going to my lical sxeap yard this week to see what they have to practice one. I understand home depot is expensive, i think i just got a little too excited and went to the closest place. Lol

I just got a collection of hammers of someone on craiglist this week. So i have quite a few to work with now.

As for the forge i will try that out! I plan on making something else as soon as i get a welder lined up. Im working on wiring in 220 at my place now. 

Thank u again for the great feedback

-Steel

Take a drive to Deep Creek and pick up the free coal off the beach. Not the best but some of the chunks are pretty descent. Last time I got down there there was a piece the size of a car that had broke off the seam and fallen down the bluff to the beach. Price is right!

I know there wete some machine shops that did alot of oil field equipment fab and repair. Those shops often have remnant pieces of alloy steel.

That's WAY too much blower. If that's what you were using as a bottom blast part of the heat problem is it's being blown right out of the fire. A blow drier is more than enough air for most general forging in a small forge.

Another air source is a mattress inflater blower, I've had a Coleman InflateAll /HO, it's 12v and delivers WAY more air than necessary for a pretty darned large fire. Heck I'm using it now to burn brush. I pick them up at yard, garage, etc. sales usually for a buck or included in bundle. New in the sporting good section of big box stores they run $15-$20 up here. They also come in 120v.

Anyway, if you find a 12v inflatall you can pack your forge to the beach and test the found coal before you pack a few hundred lbs. home. I'd do that at Castle Mtn. but I'm not building a fire IN a coal mine, I don't want to be THAT GUY.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, 

I had a tip on that blower that restricted it down to about a 1/4 inch port. But i agree it was still way too much power. I just bought a Zomax hand crank forge blower that should be here today. After i get my welder set up and everything i plan on making a new forge with the blower mounted to it. Im pretty excited about it! Haha

And thats a great idea testing the coal out at the site. Didnt think about that. I still havent made my way out thefe to check it out but i hope to soon.

Thanks again!

Sounds like you're on the way alright. Have you checked out Charles Stevens's Iforge thread "forge in a box" (that's close the name) and his rail anvil threads? That is outstanding how to information with specifics. They should be the top of the list in a "Bootstrapping a blacksmith kit" section.

Doing it on the beach you don't need the forge, just a blower a little pipe and a shovel to dig a trench. Yes I know Deep Creek isn't a sand beach but the main thing is not having to worry about a fire getting away from you. do NOT use beach rocks to make a fire ring they have a nasty habit of exploding from steam pressure.

Let us know if you find suitable smithing coal.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok gents, my wife and I plan on being at the state fair on the 29th, 30th, and possibly the 31st. This will be our first time ever to the state fair. I had never really considered the possibility of security there until Metalmangeler mentioned it in my knife critique thread. So... normally I carry a leatherman and a fixed blade every day. I'm guessing that I should/need to leave them behind when I'm there? I had also planned on bringing 2 or 3 completed knives and 1 or 2 rough forged blades for critique and showing where my skills are at. Should I not bring them at all, or keep them outside the fairgrounds for show-and-tell at the truck (outside the "secure" area)? If it's advisable to bring them on in, what's the best way to package them for a smooth trip through security?

- An ignorant young bush rat.

P.S. I may have the afternoon of the 23rd free. I'll be in Palmer that day.

I sell a few knives at my booth, the fair tells me that my customers need to keep their purchases (knives) in a sealed bag or box until they leave the fairgrounds. I doubt anyone will bother your leatherman, likely 30% of AK men carry one and you are not getting on an airline. I think you will be ok bringing some blades in in a bag or in your pack if you have them in a sealed bag in a pack you should be fine, I should be able to open them in my booth without any issues, we just might need to be discrete as to the timing of opening them so the wrong people are not upset. You will not want to open them on the fair grounds in general. security is not using metal detectors or such and I am sure there are a number of consealed carry coming through, but it is private property and they are explicit about guns and knives. The pictures of your knife on the other thread did look pretty nice by the way. Hope both of you have a good trip. Mark

I'll see if I can coordinate a fair trip with Deb for one of those days. Deb isn't demoing this year so we have to pay full price but what the hey I need to pester Mark and eat a little fair food. I hear the funnel cake calling me . . . Mmmmmmm funnel cake.

Frosty The Lucky.

Anvils are hard up here. I used a railroad track at first, than found a 30 pounder or so on a beach in Alaska here, and now I'm using a homemade one that another smith in Alaska made before he moved. It's a massive hunk of steel that came from the UAA machinists scrap pile I believe. It's a heavy bastard, can barely move it by myself. Keep your eye out for 4x4 steel or any large solid chunk and mount it up.

I learned by talking to smiths and lurking on forums, then I put it all together and made a lot of mistakes that I put on a shelf to remind me to slow down. (other than my tomahawk head, that's somewhere in the backyard in the woods).  Smiths are the some of the finest people I've ever had the chance of meeting though. 

There's enough interest perking up, if someone north of Anchorage can help me, I have a section of railroad track I found under the shed that I used. I want a chunk of it, but there's enough there to make two more small sections for budding smiths to use if someone can chop it up, I travel to Palmer and Wasilla a lot. 

Also, I'll be at the fair this weekend. I'll be judging the parade tomorrow, and will be on the grounds all weekend if anyone else is there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Tyler Myrvold. I only recently made an account, however i have been to a few meetings a couple years ago. I just wanted to inform everyone that i will be attending the meeting on the 24th. I also have a portable propane forge, and 150 pound anvil if needed.

Welcome aboard Tyler, glad to have you. I actually think I remember you in spite of my dented head. You must be a memorable guy. :) I don't know how many anvils and forges we'll need or have room for. A lot depends on weather, I'm hoping to have a new portable forge working to show off. If you have a covered rig bring your kit. We rarely have too many work stations if weather's nice.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Excellent! the More the merrier. I'm HOPING to have my new more portable forge working..Even more I'm hoping it's worth bringing. I fired the second ribbon yesterday and it worked almost exactly like the first one so it's not a fluke, the things work!

See you there. I have to pick up a box of name tags or I'll never actually know who I'm talking to or connect names and faces.

Jer