I Forge Iron

Proper use, 4 1/2"D cutoff wheel

A friend was using an angle-grinder cutoff wheel, thin alum-oxide type, but not for straight cutting. He turned it on its side, held it at a slight angle, and attempted to sand with it as you would a sanding disk. It blew apart sending pieces toward his head. He lost one eye and one shard lodged 1/8" from his brain. He recovered and is still smithing.

The shards blew through his face mask.

Ouch.  I just purchased a new angle grinder to be safer for cutting but it's still not what I'd call safe when cutting. It was pretty sketchy doing some slitting in 1/4" plate although nothing "exploded" in use. You definitely don't want ANY side thrust on a cut-off wheel, especially a cheap one.

I didn't dig as deeply as I should have when buying the new (Milwaukee) grinder but I did notice that the Bosch had a special guard available just for cut-off wheels.  I'd say in retrospect that such a thing might be a much better idea than simply slapping the wheel on with the standard (or no) guard.

In an image search I see that there is something similar for a Milwaukee (some models) so maybe others have them too.

Here's the Bosch version---Full coverage for 180 degrees of the wheel and both faces.  Roughly 20 bucks extra and probably well worth it.

bshn18cg-5e.jpg

OUCH Frank, that's a scary story. I've had hot saw blades come apart and taken it on the welding Jacket and face shield. Part of my job at the time was cutting exotic metal tubing blanks for the metal spinning shop, high temp stainless, some titanium and one type that was literally on the list as a "secret" material. It was a chop saw on a dedicated table with feed shelf(?). YOu know exploding hot saw blades are BAD news when they bruise you through a flannel shirt under an army surplus jacket under a leather welder's jacket. The shards that hit my face shield were ricochets and none penetrated though I had to change out shields about every hour or so. And yes I wore safety glasses under it and safety goggles over my glasses. The dust was incredibly irritating. Some of the spinners liked to razz me because I wore the goggles to the bathroom. That way I could close my eyes and wash my face to get the dust out of my eyebrows and off my skin. I wore a welder's cap under the face shield to keep my hair dust free.

I HATE hot saw blades, sure they work but they're dangerous on so many levels I'd rather take an alternate route. Of course that's me, I even have one in the shop and use it when I HAVE TO.

Frosty The Lucky.

Things are evil.  Had one come apart and skid off my face mask.  So far I have been very fortunate.  A carbide tooth on a stone cutting saw came off and took a chunk ot of the side of my glasses, then the cut off blade skidding off the face shield.  If I had the misfortune of Taking a direct hit I would be blind in both eyes.  I never take the guards off my grinders.

I've had chop saw abrasive disks come apart but not been hit by that shrapnel yet.  

Had a 14" cutoff wheel blow up into my shins when I was cutting some angle iron bridging.  The guy that used it before me changed the blade but did not tighten it up because he had to get to lunch.  I fired up the demo saw and got wheel imbedded into my shin.  He on the other hand got a spud wrench imbedded in his shin.