I Forge Iron

Need Anvil Advice

There is a peter wright 138lb  anvil available online.  It is close enough to me that I would be able to pick it up and not have to pay for shipping.  This would be my first real anvil.  To me it looks good in the photos.  I am just not sure if I should be concerned that it has had some kind of work done to the top and horn or if that would be a good thing.  Any advice would be great.

Thanks so much for looking.

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7823.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

I saw a Hay Budden at a flea market today with over half the face that appeared to be re-surfaced. I had my handy dandy ball bearing with me and tried it out. The area that was re-surfaced had a really dull thud and maybe 50% rebound. The area not messed with had a lot of rebound and plenty of ring. 

The fact that the side of the anvil is all pitted, but the face isn't much, can tell you that it has been ground down past the pits, which could be past the high carbon face, or be very little left. It cant hurt to drive to it and do the ball bearing test, but I can almost guarantee you that it has been ground, and the edges possibly welded back-they look almost to crisp.

Littleblacksmith

On 6/12/2016 at 10:16 AM, the iron dwarf said:

its not thast PW top are too hard, the problem is that is not the original top, it is an anvil that has most likely been ruined by someone trying to improve it, I have a couple of PWs and they are fine

Hmm. I wonder what happened to the original top?

Huh.  So your two anvils prove that all PWs are fine.  The hundreds of broken PW top plates I have seem must have been imaginary.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Broken top plates are often in the earlier anvils where the top plate was a series of pieces forge welded on sequentially allowing for an increased possibility of a bad weld issue. As a plus it will sometimes be only 1 plate that fails leaving the rest still nicely attached. It's NOT a function of them being too hard.  Like many anvil repairs the chance that someone "fixing" it actually mucks it up worse is high.

I believe this is what TID was referring too was it not?

Any WI anvil with a top plate can get problems, a hard plate on a soft body and a couple of hundred years of use can cause that, I have an austrian anvil that would be quite at home on TP's wall of shame with most of the top plate missing and an ugly repair to a big break in the middle, I have an eveson, a wooldridge, and 2 KL's and there is nothing bad about a PW so arftist, you would only want an anvil that is either solid 01 toolsteel all the way through or as soft as mild steel all the way through.

there is a reason for the top plate as many on here would know

the main shop anvil is in fact just a couple of blocks of mild with a horn and pritchel as we get newbies in all the time to have a go, there are few who I would let use my good anvils

19 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Broken top plates are often in the earlier anvils where the top plate was a series of pieces forge welded on sequentially allowing for an increased possibility of a bad weld issue. As a plus it will sometimes be only 1 plate that fails leaving the rest still nicely attached. It's NOT a function of them being too hard.  Like many anvil repairs the chance that someone "fixing" it actually mucks it up worse is high.

I believe this is what TID was referring too was it not?

So hardness and brittleness are unrelated?

Cool.

But the damage was not due to brittleness it was do to a bad weld. And a bad forge weld is not related to the hardness or brittleness of the material just like it's not related to the color of the hair of the forge welder!

If you want to learn about the relation of hardness and brittleness I noticed that the Lincoln Procedure  Handbook of Arc Welding had a fairly good discussion of it in layman's terms; at least it seemed a be a good match with my MatSci class at Cornell.  The discussion was just after the section in the beginning of the book discussing the history of welding---Breakfast reading for me.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

But the damage was not due to brittleness it was do to a bad weld. And a bad forge weld is not related to the hardness or brittleness of the material just like it's not related to the color of the hair of the forge welder!

If you want to learn about the relation of hardness and brittleness I noticed that the Lincoln Procedure  Handbook of Arc Welding had a fairly good discussion of it in layman's terms; at least it seemed a be a good match with my MatSci class at Cornell.  The discussion was just after the section in the beginning of the book discussing the history of welding---Breakfast reading for me.

I was being sacastic. 

Hardness has everything to do with edge chips.

Hardness, alloy, manufacturing methodology, abuse, all affect edge chipping; but I'd rather have an anvil with chipped edges than one repaired by someone who 

doesn't know how to do it properly---and so if confronted with unknown repairs I tend to not pay top dollar even if the anvil is "pretty".