I Forge Iron

Mark Aspery workshop!!

It's getting close, June 11th. is day one of Mark Aspery's, two day, "Joinery" work shop. That's getting close where's the chatter? Who's coming?

It's a hands on class, we'll make tools and the learning projects. There will be several stations.

If you're a paid up club member admission is only $200.00. It's open to the public, admission is $200. in advance or $250.00 at the door.

Be there or be square.

Frosty The Lucky.

I expected you, are you going to drag some of those Anchor heads with you? I don't think Sean'll make it, tough times for the boy.

I've been hanging flyers everywhere they'll let me and talking it up big time.

I kind of wish it wasn't so close to Art on Fire, I keep getting the dates mixed up in my dented head.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm going to take my anvil forge and basic kit to Pat's the day before if he lets me. That way I can drive the new car and not have to shoe horn the pickup in to park. I wish I had a reason to drive to town, I'd haul your kit out and drop it off for you.

Jer

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I'm going to take my anvil forge and basic kit to Pat's the day before if he lets me. That way I can drive the new car and not have to shoe horn the pickup in to park. I wish I had a reason to drive to town, I'd haul your kit out and drop it off for you.

Jer

I appreciate the thought. should be pretty easy with my new tool basket. the worst part is the anvil is a bear to load all alone without a crane. 

Tristan I think you sent out a list of steel that Mark wanted us to each have for the clinic, seems like some 3/8 round for chain and something for a hook etc. I am hoping you might post it here as well.

Also it has occured to me that I did not return your bees wax after our last meeting, be sure to get some from me at this meeting to replace it.

No sweat on the wax, I have lots.  only a scrap will fit in the handle anyway. I am going to put a bigger chunk in my toolbag, if I remember... 

I am so excited, this class has only been 2 years in the making. I already have everything laid out to go. 

Here is the list of other materials Mark Aspery asked us to have handy. 

3/8 round bar in 6 inch lengths for making a short length of chain. Plus
some spare 10-inch lengths for making a ring.
1/2-inch round and square stock.
6-inch length of 5/8 round for making a trace hook.
3/4-inch by 1/4 inch flat bar - miner’s candlestick.

Thanks Tristan, I just printed a copy to take to the shop. I think I have everything but the 1/4" x 3/4". I have a bunch of drops and garage sale finds I'll have to take calipers to to see if I have 5/8" rd.

I think I'm almost more jazzed about learning to make the miner's candle stick than anything else.

I am TWO YEARS WAITING Jazzed, 3 days and it's HAMMER TIME!

Frosty The Lucky.

He seems to have made a study of the candlesticks so it should be really good. I am oddly excited about the trace hook for some reason. maybe its the curves, I am a sucker for curves.

I think I have spare 5/8 round if you need. I think Pat was going to pick up some more of the stock sized when he got the 4140, but not sure if he did or not.  

What is the start time? Sign me up for the 200.00 early club member price. Get in late Friday and can pick up your stuff     Tristan after 75758f3e81ebbc_summer2016088.thumb.JPG.69:00 pm. Will need the street to turn off on. Many fish were killed in Petersburg. What are we cooking for lunch? maybe a fish fry? Will need to mooch some steel or happy to buy. Please bring some extra.

I have enough of everything but the 1/4" x 3/4" to cover you John. Good to hear you'll be in town we don't see enough of you. If you're bringing a little flat fish I'll bring my wok. Like halibut tacos?

Jer

Pat's the contact person for folk to sign up and I haven't heard. I know of maybe 6 planning to attend but I believe we have a couple few more. Maybe Pat will speak up.

I'll bring halibut taco fixins for a bunch of folk.

Jer

John, glad to hear you are making it. I talked to pat earlier and he knew of 3 more so with Frosty's 6 and the club members sounds like we are doing pretty decent. Maybe 20ish.

Bryan is staying at my place and Jim is bringing his truck  for my stuff but we could use an extra seat if you don't mind. I should be in the shop by 7:30 we plan to leave at 8. 

Halibut tacos sound great!  I like the way you guys think.

You're staying in the Valley John? Cool. I'll be dropping my gear off at Pat's tomorrow so I don't have to thread the pickup through all the parked car's Sat and Sun.

If anybody is reading this I could use a small charcoal grill to use under the Wok. I've used it on one of Pat's melting furnaces but that's kind of excessive and it looks to be hot tomorrow.

I got my coal forge dug out and it's working well so I'm bringing it. Brian says he's bringing down a bag of coal so you guys who want to give it a try you can. I'll bring my new gas forge too just because.

Frosty The Lucky.

A lot to think about is right. Not only is he very knowledgeable he's easy to understand and patient. We had a good turn out, better than your average meeting. All in all two days of Kodak moments. A BIG hat's off to Pat for allowing us to take over his studio for a whole weekend he was as usual an outstanding host.

I'm pretty sure I'll be grinning about this work shop for some time to come.

Frosty The Lucky.