I Forge Iron

Forging a Thistle?

Not bad at all, Richard. You are the only one, so far, to put his money where his mouth is. ;)

blubrick,

that is exactly what I was thinkin on the way home this evening; cable inside a swaged pipe.

If the pipe was swaged like an open bulb and then closed around the cable, this would save the problems associated with welding cable.

I'm thinking that a small, sharp chisel to score the bulb, and then fray the cable as much as possible...

well, it looks good in my head, anyway. I ain't got time to be messin' with iron thistles, but it looks like we might be in too deep to turn back now.

Don

There is a guy, Jeremy K I think, who posted a pineapple and some of the steps in the photo gallery at Far West Forge

texturing done with a tool made from a hex wrench, crown done in pieces and attached. Fairly labor intensive, maybe cost prohibitive as a tourist trinket, but would make a good high-end piece.

pineapple_base.jpg DSCN1558.jpg

Link corrected, photos added

Apologies if this has already been proposed, but I think I have an idea:

Take a piece of suitable size mild or wrought rod (perhaps 1" square), and make a tight pineapple twist for about 1-2". Upset this twisted end so it's fairly bulbous and cut off. Drill it down the centre so a suitable piece of cable is a close fit. Pass the cable through the hole so it sticks out maybe 3/4" and braze or solder in place. Fray the cable ticking out the top and finish. You could cut a few wires in the cable long the 'stem' and fray them out to represent leaves.

Sorry I didn't pick up on this thread before, but as we were going to schedule in "How to make a thistle" on one of our Westpoint Forge courses later this year, for those unable to attend, here's how to do it.

Take a length of tube of appropriate diameter for the base of the thistle, about 12" long, and tightly pack this inside with straight thin wire (if you are going to use welding filler rod, remove the copper coating first)

Heat the tube with the packed wires in to an appropriate forging heat, and using a top and bottom fuller or guillotine tool neck in the tube about 2 to 2.5 inches from the end to about 3/8 diameter. This will later be forged down to form the stem, the radius on the fuller will form the bulbous base of the thistle, different radii will determine the curve on base to stem. Allow it to cool

Cut off with a hacksaw approximately 1"+ on the long side of the assembled tube/wires(Depending on how long you want to draw this stem out) The remaining stock can then be used to produce further thistle heads

Using appropriate tongs, heat the fullered / sawn off end to a welding heat and forge it down to a solid piece for the stem, due to the spaces between the wires inside you will have to be patient and allow the whole to soak until it gets to the right heat throughout. you can leave this bigger than your required finished stem size as it will make it easier to do the next step which is to develop the thistle top.

Reverse the piece and heat at the open end for the full length of the bulbous part, then taking a sharp hot chisel (preferably one with a flat side and an angled edge) with the angled edge of the chisel facing the stem, approximately half way along this portion, carefully cut through the outer tube all the way around, without cutting through the internal wires. The angle on the chisel will put a nice small radius on the pipe at the base/bulbous side, and the vertical side of the cut will allow you to remove the cut off piece of tube exposing the internal wires.

You can then finish forging the stem to the required finished dimension, and make a couple of leaves and forge weld them to the stem.

The end of the tube can then be removed, and the wires spread out to form the thistle's bristles.

You may have to try one or two to determine what looks best to you, if you leave them too long the thistle tends to look more like a shaving brush and be careful not to forge weld all the bristles at the open end together.

If you wish to decorate the bulbous part, use a bottom swage to support the bulbous part and use a sharp chisel to incise the decoration around the base.

Have a go and enjoy yourself