I Forge Iron

Help identifying an anvil marked only with an M

It is my neighbors anvil so il try to get more pics the next time i talk to him. I dont think its a Fisher though, none of the pictures i have ever seen of that kind of anvil have that big raised M on the side of them. If you have ever seen one though can you say where? Also what are the pictures of the front under the horn and rear under the heel supposed to show? As for the bottom while i dont have a picture of it i do know that its kinda bowl shaped... or so my neighbor said.

Well it's a cast anvil as is demonstrated by the raised M and the parting line.  Next major question I would have is "is it cast iron or cast steel?"  If you can't run a spark test on it I would try the ball bearing test and make an inference from that.

Sometimes it best to NOT to offer an opinion if you really don't have any idea about what you are talking..

Dustn if you do a search on Milne anvils you may find something that looks similar.

They were cast steel and quite good anvils but not very well known.

14 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

IWell it's a cast anvil as is demonstrated by the raised M and the parting line.  Next major question I would have is "is it cast iron or cast steel?"  If you can't run a spark test on it I would try the ball bearing test and make an inference from that.

It has a pretty good ring to it. Bounce with a ball bearing is about 7 inches when dropped from 10 he says.

52 minutes ago, Crazy Ivan said:

Looks all Columbian to me. 

We may have a winner here. Looks like columbian anvils are cast steel and do have a raised letter M on one side. the other should have a depressed triangle with a riased C in the middle. He said there are no other markings on it but he also said when he got it it was super rusty and he had to clean the hell out of it. It may be that side was just really bad so most of the info is gone. Found this image online from some blade forums and the rest of the anvil looks about the same in design.

post-29961-0-58771800-1413914024.jpg

• 1 year later...