I Forge Iron

looks like an anvil to me

Was just given 2 heavy jack stands. Looks like I have a new anvil. They are made from some kind of machine steal and truck axle sections. Just have to weld them together, mount it and clean it up.IMG_20160522_080453.thumb.jpg.7daf2f5068

I also was given the hammer in the picture.

It feels like christmas morning.

• 9 months later...

I made a new anvil today. Used the jack stands, some RR track and some scrap I had in the shop. Took it all to work so I could use the welder there and a few hours later came home with this. Should do for a poor man's anvil.

Just about killed me getting it out of the truck at home. 256lb. 

What do you think?

BTW - the chain across the top is for use as a hold down.

JME

IMG_20170319_152909.jpg

IMG_20170319_152926.jpg

True, but this way there is a sweet spot in the middle about 2" wide running the whole length of the rail. It has good rebound.

I had the rail on its end but I was wanting something bigger that was more stable. We will see how it works soon enough. Haven't had time to try it out yet.

the only near sweet spot will be a tiny area directly over the legs, you need depth and mass mainly.

for most things the working part of an anvil is not much larger than the face of your hammer

when I get home tonight I will post a pic of an anvil I have made many years ago that has had much use and works well

3 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

Wen I get home tonight I will post a pic of an anvil I have made many years ago that has had much use and works well

Thank you. I would love to see what it looks like

7 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Personally, I think you need more mass under the face. Tell us how it works, though, once you've used it a bit. I don't think Tubalcain has seen very many homemade anvils.:)

I will let you know.  

The jack stands under the one end are solid and are about 110lb by them selves. I hope they have enough mass.

Just tried out my new diy anvil. I like it. Lots of rebound and nice big "table top". The sweet spot is in the middle about 2" wide and runs along the length of it. No wobbles and sits very steady. It is not perfect but it will do me for a while. 

IMG_20170324_194903.jpg

IMG_20170324_194909.jpg