I Forge Iron

Leaking Propane Tank

ede

So I bought a propane cylinder from Uhaul about 4 years ago made by Worthington.  I noticed it was smelling like sewer gas and discovered a hole in the tank along the weld next to the stem.   

This is just a word of caution to all the metalsmiths, ie. mostly jewelers,  that would have a propane tank inside.  So much for hydrostatic testing. 

Check out the video here:

20160519_193030.jpg

It's actually leaking, soapy water bubbles? I see a bubble in the paint where the weld bead was started/stopped but you can't see a pin hole hydrostat testing would miss.

The mercaptain oil used to odorize propane can almost always be smelled around fittings and joints but nothing like the strength of a leak.

Be sure though, a little dish soap and water will bubble on a leak. If it is leaking at that visible mark take it to whoever tested it, they'll have a litter of kittens right before your eyes.

Frosty The Lucky.

I always test ANY propane tank myself, or ANY gas cylinder for that matter, not trusting any other testing (the old saying "trust but verify").  Not a hydro test, but the soap bubble test is better than nothing.  You can find some really small leaks that way.

If you still have any sort of proof of purchase, I'd take it back to UHaul and get rid of it, money back.  That's an obvious weld defect.

I can't make out a "leak" in the video. I apologize for not watching it before replying, I don't recall seeing the link, my bad.

Soapy water and either a brush or small squirt bottle. A flowing hose is more likely to hide small leaks than expose them. Just because I can't see bubbles in the video doesn't mean they're not there. If it's leaking badly enough you can see a leak with a garden hose then the company filling them is a menace to society. I have my 100lb. tanks filled and exchange my 20s & 40s if they have a full one in stock. 

If they fill my tank the first thing they do is check the certification, examine the threads and in every single case, even at the bargain service station run the soapy water over it after it's filled.

I walk past a "Blue Rhino" propane exchange rack in front of almost every box store I go to and NEVER smell more than typical residual mercaptains.

Tell my you DID return it to the supplier and at least give the the chance to correct the problem. No one leaking tank isn't the problem, that one would get off the loading scale is.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, in the video you could see the leak actually blowing the water away from the hole. Since only a water hose was used and not any soap there were no bubbles.  The hose method ede used is not a good way.  As we have both said, use soapy water.  The way that tank was leaking in the video it might even blow the bubbles away!

There is a good reason not to use soapy water to test for gas leaks...the main danger is and I quote from the BOC safety site..."the oil based solutions, or those containing fatty acids, can ignite if they come in contact with oxygen.  For this reason soapy water or washing up liquid must not be used" 

Although low pressure fuel gasses like propane are not susceptible, oxygen and some of the other high pressure gasses can cause it to pop. You don't want any soap getting into the threads of any of the valves for instance.

The point being that if you have soapy water in a squeezey bottle to check your fuel gasses, you (or somebody else) might try it on the oxygen line.

Using a commercial gas leak detector or a drop of industrial detergent like Teepol HB7 is BOC's recommendation. Or just carry on with plain water....

Alan

Excellent point Alan anything is a no no on oxy systems and as you say having it around is too tempting. Heck a spider taking up residence in an oxy hose can be a BAD thing.

I did a screen capture on the "leaking" tank video and it's blowing hard enough I could've heard it even with my bad hearing. I don't think it'd have pressure at all in a couple hours. Makes me go. hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

I did have a 47kg propane leaking at the point where a bracket had been welded on to hold the valve protector/handle ring. I only discovered that because it was a misty moisty morning and the condensation was burbling as I walked past. The gas company replaced it immediately.

Alan

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the late update.  Yes, the problem was corrected when I returned it to the U haul company as I bought the cylinder new hoping to get more propane on refills instead of exchanges. 

My previous protocol has been to test hose connections and mechanical connections with a commercial leak detector.   Going forward, I will be also testing the neck/stem weld.

Here's food for thought:  most jewelers use propane cylinders inside there houses/business and generally don't port it in from a stored cylinder outside.  Talk about risky business...

Speaking of exchanging tanks vs. refilling them, a friend told me that the exchange places generally don't check to see if a bottle is out of date or not.  Has this been anyone else's experience? 

The exchange place might not but by exchange place I'm talking about the little screen locker outside the local big box or mom&pop convenience store "Blue Rhino" being one company around here. No, they don't test your cylinder when you exchange it but the company that fills the cylinders they exchange sure do. The company exchanging them and the company filling the cylinders wouldn't be in business long if one caused an explosion or fire.

Heck, the local propane company doesn't test smaller than 40lb./10gl. tanks, if they're much past the test by date they just toss them.

Frosty The Lucky.