I Forge Iron

Started working on my forge's twin burners this week.

So far, everything is turning out great. I have not tested this design yet, but plan to do so soon. I started off by taking a close look at my TurboTorch tips that I use at work (Acetylene gas).

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.35a23ec07cf7f98972252

Here's a picture of the TurboTorch tip (A11).

I too extra notes on the brass section of the torch tip, where the gas begins to mix with air. The gas flows from the regulator into a small chamber, with a very tiny hole machined in it. This little hole sits just before the air intake, which is proportional to the overall diameter of the tip size. I know this because other air intake holes on smaller and larger TurboTorch tips that I have increase and decrease based on tip size (A5 vs A11 for example).

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.dfd9c7340a96baaa332d3

Here's a picture of the air-intake holes.

IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.57da4ad0b9b984664f9ce

Here's a somewhat poor picture of the little hole inside the tip I'm talking about.

Anyways, I started considering how I could make this into a larger burner with propane gas for my forge. After learning a bit about forge burners form various sources (mostly the black hole of the Internet where I lost most of my soul), I took a trip to the hardware store (Ferguson Plumbing Supply where I do most of my day-to-day business for work). I purchased a few 1/4 brass fittings, including a 1/4 to 3/8 90.

I took the small 1/4 brass cap which I purchased (hex) and drilled a 1/16th hole dead center in the cap. I took a 12" black nipple (also purchased from Ferguson) and cut off the threads. I then proceeded to drill a lot (like, swiss cheese-lot) into the top of the nipple about 3" down. I tapped some set-screws into the side of the gas pipe to hold my reducing 90 (still to be determined if this is the best way to center the fuel hole in the burner). I slid a small piece of stainless steel pipe (one which fit nearly perfectly over the 3/4 gas nipple) up the pipe and used a screw to set it in place (to control air flow for tuning). This covered some of the holes that I drilled earlier on.

Finally, I choose to use a small piece of stainless steel pipe which was flared out at the bottom of my burner. I connected it to the 3/4 gas nipple via a set screw as well.

IMG_0686.thumb.JPG.43d1ebe3be387c85f6ea1

The 1/16 hole in the hex cap as seen through the mostly-completed burner.

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.f4cae51c527af33859a07

The first burner, and the soon-to-be burner. I need to test the first one before I make the second.

Ok. Tell me what you think.

People - I'm not looking for drama. The last few posts I've made here have been met with some ornery little kid crap. If you don't like the way I write, move on people. There's at least a few thousand personalities on this forum. You won't get along with everybody. Moving on, away from the drama, I would like some honest opinions. I've never built a forge or burner before.

That's it. Let me know how I'm doing.

Be joyful. Be friendly.

Live life to it's fullest, and have no regrets.

I forgot to take a close up picture of the little holes I drilled in the 3/4" nipple. They are as evenly spaced as I could get them with no drill press (soon I'll have one of those too). Again, I modeled the air-intake after the holes on the turbo torch.

This post has been heavily edited by Claytonzeimet. Quotes below were made before the edits.

Which curse words did I use? As far as I see, there isnt any. I put a little character in my writing, no matter what I write. This is called Style, and its a key element in the English language.

Im building my own burners because I'm cheap. And, its fun. And, nobody can seem to give me a straight answer on the best way to build one, so I figured I'd do it myself.

I don't make the rules, tho I agree with them and have myself ran afoul of them on ocasian. The fact is this is a privately owned and paid for site, one to witch we are guests and privlage to be so. 

Simple rule on language, do you want your daughter using such language? Would your grandmother wash out your mouth?

Imagine your self sitting on Glenn's front porch, with his wife and grandkids, if you insist on urinating in his wife's flower boxes you will have problems 

1 hour ago, claytonzeimet said:

Don't tell me to go do a bunch of reading, but make 0 attempt to give me links or pictures or search phrases on where to do that reading at. If you tell me this, I'm going to presume that you are ignorant.

To tell folks NOT to suggest reading material, links, photos, or search phrases and if they do share their knowledge with you, THEY are ignorant is unacceptable. It may be YOUR STYLE and how you ordinarily talk, but it could easily be considered insulting to others that have the knowledge you seek.

1 hour ago, claytonzeimet said:

I've never built a forge or burner before.

May I respectfully suggest you continue with your build and testing of your ideas and let us know how it works for you.

38 minutes ago, Glenn said:

To tell folks NOT to suggest reading material, links, photos, or search phrases and if they do share their knowledge with you, THEY are ignorant is unacceptable. It may be YOUR STYLE and how you ordinarily talk, but it could easily be considered insulting to others that have the knowledge you seek.

In context, I do NOT want someone to say:

"Go look it up. It's on this site somewhere."

I PREFERE people to say:

"Go look it up. Search "blah blah blah" or "blah blah blah." Also, check out www.INFORMATIONONBURNERS.COM or something."

Please, Glen. I know you are a moderator. Don't take stuff out of context. It's rude. Also, I am intending to insult some people here. I've looked up a few of the people who have commented on some of my posts, as well as some of the "big commentaries" I've seen on the forums. 9 times out of 10, they really don't know any more than the guys on YouTube - even if they have written a book. Writing a book isn't the end-all on being an expert.

Also, I edited my post to make sure it's not going to hurt anybody's feelings or anything.

28 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I don't make the rules, tho I agree with them and have myself ran afoul of them on ocasian. The fact is this is a privately owned and paid for site, one to witch we are guests and privlage to be so. 

Simple rule on language, do you want your daughter using such language? Would your grandmother wash out your mouth?

Imagine your self sitting on Glenn's front porch, with his wife and grandkids, if you insist on urinating in his wife's flower boxes you will have problems 

I often use the word c**p in front of my children. I'd rather have them say that word than watch some of the filth they get to see just driving down the street in Denver. 

The thread is closed.

I received the following by PM:

"I'm honestly really sorry for sounding a bit rude tonight." The rest of the message was private, but the viewers should know that the original post (and edited material) was out of character.

18 hours ago, claytonzeimet said:

I love how he says:  tell me what you think unless it might disagree with my preconceived ideas, then I will get mad at you and insult you for it.  I particularly like his statement about how he does not care about those of us that have written books on the the subject, (which have been vetted for a while now) as no better than tube videos.

If this person can not understand how some of us, including a few PhDs may know a little more than your average you tube poster, I wont waste time attempting to educate him, as per his own statements, His posting shows how he think he knows more than we do already.

I will take this time to say grow up, and try to act like an adult our your visit here at IFI will be very short. I wont approve your other posts you made today, and dont I expect to approve many in the future at the rate you are going here.

FYI one of your posts that we wont allow to post,  does need a reply to the effect of letting you be aware that Glenn Conner owns this site, he is not just a power hungry mod,  as you implied. So what he thinks matters more than you may think.  Some of us here are very protective of Glenn, and you have crossed the line, and only because of Glenn's soft spot in his head matching the one in his heart; do you have any chance left.