I Forge Iron

Deep fryer tempering?

I'm looking for something that will give me a more consistent and even temper than my kitchen oven and thought I'd ask the knowledgable people here if a fryer would work. I have an old fry daddy type fryer and I'm thinking about seeing if it's any better. I have done some looking online and couldn't get a specific temp they run at just that they are 'the right temperature to fry most foods' and then it mentions that it's in the range of 350-375f. I am trying to find a thermometer that I can stick in the oil to get an accurate reading but thought I'd ask before I got to far ahead of myself. Most of what I do is 1084 or mystery steel (mostly for tooling) and is plenty small enough to fit in the fryer with oil all around. I know 350 is going to still be on the hard side but I've never actually done hard testing on the knives I've made and tempered at 350 in the oven so I don't know if that's a little too hard still. 

Any wisdom I can get would be greatly appreciated.

At 350 F you should be OK. If you go too hot you need to worry about the flashpoint of your oil. You could end up with a real mess. From what I have read, if your 1084 is close to fully hardened a 350 F temper will leave the steel a little brittle for most knives and tools. An oven thermometer and pan of sand will go quite a ways in getting an even temper in your kitchen oven. Heat the sand to temperature and bury your tools in the sand.

I wasn't sure but I thought it might be a little low at 350. I am trying to do some more reading to see if I can find a definite temp that the fry daddy runs. I'm also lookin at another option that will probably be better. I might use a piece of plate steel with notched angle iron on it working the same principal as the sand.

Just buy a fryer oil thermometer, a few bucks in the cooking section.  Use a high temp or heat treat oil and not worry about flashing over. Of course you could keep the lid on the fryer and let it smoke. My only thought would be an OTC fryer isn't going to have: good enough controls, the upper limit nor adjustability to be a good tempering bath.

I picked up a nice toaster oven at a church rummage sale a couple summers ago and don't worry about stinking up my oven in the kitchen. Of course I'm not a bladesmith guy so I can get by with less than ideal stuff.

Sand, tiles, etc. added thermal mass indeed smooth out temperature fluctuations.