I Forge Iron

Thank you Glenn, and IFI

BIGGUNDOCTOR

I just read a recent post, and thread that got to me ,and as soon as I get employed again I will be sending you some money for this site because I get so much out of. 

The thread in question got to me because it really pointed out why I love having this site available. Sure there is a Facebook page that is growing like a house on fire, but try and research a project on there. Try and get solid practical advice in a timely manner before it gets so far down the page it is gone. Try and get real answers without a morass of hearsay, and unfounded half truths. How many posts of "I just found this rusty whatever , can I make a knife out it?" do you want to wade through every day?  So yes, I love having this site, and still think it is one of the best resources for smithing information out there today even with the recent software glitches. This is a prime example of when quality wins over quantity.

Over the past 7 years my work schedule of 4am-8pm had gotten in the way of all of my hobbies, not just smithing. As a very creative person this can have some very bad affects on ones mental happiness. I have had to live through others creativity for a long time -  too long.  IFI has been a refuge for me during this time, and it gets checked almost every day no matter what. The bottle opener thread alone has provided lots of ideas, and showcased some very nice work. Now that I am recently unemployed I have had the chance to reevaluate a lot of things in my life, and I am putting a high priority on my hobbies. We were not meant to just work and pay bills. I want to live again,not just exist as I have been recently.

THANK YOU Glenn , and the IFI community for making this the great site it is today.

BTW Glenn, if you put your general location under your profile you may be surprised how many in the IFI community may be within driving distance.... ;)

I do know generally it's in the USA and if people were going to shoot anvils you  can use my address just try not to  hit the new shop, the neighbor's is fair game though.  Now there is a thought ( I seldom get them nowdays) if someone wants to visit your shop they have to bring a blacksmithing tool to get in and if they are staying more than 15 min it has to be an anvil!  Only seems fair as they would bring wine if visiting your home.  You might not get great tools but the wine most likely was cheap anyways.   

I too would be willing to send some money. Where do we send it to?    I am a member of The Guild of Metalsmiths and pay a due to them so a donation to this site would not bother me.  Im not saying make this a paying membership site but would just like to help offset some costs. As I'm writing this i realized that money coming in would put this site into some kind of weird tax thing so that might be to much of a hassle for admin. The Guild is a 501(c) nonprofit and probably has alot of paper work to do.

This site is ran by volunteers.  People should already know the internet is not free.  The computers for hosting aka the servers, software and data/phone lines have to be paid for some how.  As a few that decided to open sires have found small sites are free only because of advertising, and if their site grows they find bandwidth AKA the traffic, gets to a point the free site is no longer free, but the host company wants money for the  larger amount of tragic, or the site it restricted until the month is over, and the bandwidth counter resets.

We have lots of traffic here, and even with the lost file problems, we still much material researchable from 2005 unlike facebook that rolls over with almost every new post.   So IFI has some advertising to help pay expenses in the form of  small slightly annoying pop ups.

In addition to these google adds, some of us pay to advertise our shops or a product.  I personally pay for advertising in the form of a percentage of my book sales to IFI.  So contrary to what some people have insisted, I am not being hypocritical when I remove others adverts and tell them to contact Glenn.  I am paying to have my book sales posted in the forum.  

While we have a section called "tailgating" for one shot sales, some members produce tools regularly for resale and they pay a small fee to IFI for those to be posted here.

Finally the general membership is occasionally asked to help cover any gaps in expenses with a donation drive, our last one was  Feb 2015. But I think if someone wants to  give money to IFI at any time, then Glenn is the person to contact for a mailing address.