I Forge Iron

cast iron anvils

I could tell you but my crystal ball is in the shop or do you just want a wildly uninformed guess? If you want, my crystal ball shop rate is $25.00 per guess no guarantee. Wildly improbable silliness is free. Your choice. Or I suppose you could spoil all our fun and post a couple pics.

DRATS beat to the submit key . . . AGAIN! :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I could tell you but my crystal ball is in the shop or do you just want a wildly uninformed guess? If you want, my crystal ball shop rate is $25.00 per guess no guarantee. Wildly improbable silliness is free. Your choice. Or I suppose you could spoil all our fun and post a couple pics.

DRATS beat to the submit key . . . AGAIN! :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

Too fancy with your replies :D

7 hours ago, smithatheart said:

I cant put a photo because of reasons but I am not the most descriptive person and I'm 12 so yeahh:blink:

Well alright! I'll be less cryptic and stop messing with you. At this point a few things just don't matter even though a lot of people spend a LOT of time and energy trying to find out. How old a tool is only really counts to antique dealers and collectors. What make isn't much more important. THE important question is can it be used. At your age even a cast iron anvil shaped object will serve just fine. Honest it will

Now you need a HOT fire, a hammer or two and something to cut with. At your age I recommend you NOT use a hammer heavier than 2lbs. 1 1/2 lbs is a better max for now. As your skill improves you'll be able to use heavier hammers without injuring yourself. Any smoothe face hammer will work just fine, ball peins and cross peins are excellent balcksmithing hammers but for a start ANY smooth faced hammer will do just fine.

A cold chisel will cut HOT steel easily but you'll need a glove to protect your hand. OR you can wrap some 1/4" rd. steel around it for a handle. Making your own tools is one of a blacksmith's rewards for learning the craft. A hack saw is an excellent option, it's easy, precise and you don't cook one hand even a little using one.

Use long pieces of stock at first so you don't need tongs. Not using tongs helps a lot because it's harder to hold things in tongs. Once you've developed more skill is a good time to start fighting with tongs and making the darned things.

Stick with us it'll be my genuine pleasure to help you learn the craft, I'll even keep the jokes down. Wait a second you might like jokes! Do you like puns? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

well I'm different I have my own shop a chop saw a peter wright  and many tongs an no I am not lying and I'm not rich but I just work I buy and sell and save and I build my own tools .I have been welding since I was 10 and wood working since I was 5 so I grew up in a work shop and I basically grew up in a workshop btw I'm 13 the 13th                                

thanks buddy I appreciate it

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:14 AM, Frosty said:

Well alright! I'll be less cryptic and stop messing with you. At this point a few things just don't matter even though a lot of people spend a LOT of time and energy trying to find out. How old a tool is only really counts to antique dealers and collectors. What make isn't much more important. THE important question is can it be used. At your age even a cast iron anvil shaped object will serve just fine. Honest it will

Now you need a HOT fire, a hammer or two and something to cut with. At your age I recommend you NOT use a hammer heavier than 2lbs. 1 1/2 lbs is a better max for now. As your skill improves you'll be able to use heavier hammers without injuring yourself. Any smoothe face hammer will work just fine, ball peins and cross peins are excellent balcksmithing hammers but for a start ANY smooth faced hammer will do just fine.

A cold chisel will cut HOT steel easily but you'll need a glove to protect your hand. OR you can wrap some 1/4" rd. steel around it for a handle. Making your own tools is one of a blacksmith's rewards for learning the craft. A hack saw is an excellent option, it's easy, precise and you don't cook one hand even a little using one.

Use long pieces of stock at first so you don't need tongs. Not using tongs helps a lot because it's harder to hold things in tongs. Once you've developed more skill is a good time to start fighting with tongs and making the darned things.

Stick with us it'll be my genuine pleasure to help you learn the craft, I'll even keep the jokes down. Wait a second you might like jokes! Do you like puns? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

and I'm sorry but I like a heavy hammer most of my work is with a 4 lb hammer and a 3 lb it is just what I prefur like I strike with a 12 lb hammer

On 4/9/2016 at 2:14 AM, Frosty said:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty acing an answer AGAIN. I would have to say 1 1/2 lbs is a bit small for 12-13 year-olds starting out smithing, I started with a 2 pound and think it's perfect for me. And I'm a MASTER being a highly 13 year old. *sarcastic grin*.

1 hour ago, smithatheart said:

well I'm different I have my own shop a chop saw a peter wright  and many tongs an no I am not lying and I'm not rich but I just work I buy and sell and save and I build my own tools .I have been welding since I was 10 and wood working since I was 5 so I grew up in a work shop and I basically grew up in a workshop btw I'm 13 the 13th                                

thanks buddy I appreciate it

and I'm sorry but I like a heavy hammer most of my work is with a 4 lb hammer and a 3 lb it is just what I prefur like I strike with a 12 lb hammer

PLEASE stay AWAY from a 4 pound hammer. Blacksmithing is ALL about CONTROL. It's not a competition about how big of a hammer you can swing. You very quickly will hurt your shoulder, it will put you down for weeks. Just stick with a 2 pound. For us ;)

-EJ

2 minutes ago, SReynolds said:

So,,,,, what weighs more; a 130 pound cast iron or 130 pound solid wrought?

or an air tank  with 130lbs of air?:P

8 hours ago, EJRailRoadTrack said:

You very quickly will hurt your shoulder, it will put you down for weeks. Just stick with a 2 pound. For us

I'm 5.5 times as old and use 2 to 2.5 hammers my 12 lb is a door stop now when I don't trip over it, and my 4 lb waits for my  son to show up when something needs a real pounding.  All this is after both shoulders having to be repaired, hand, & back,  When my surgeon asked what had I been doing and I told him  Blacksmithing he suggested a rubber hammer.  I can attest to the  fact what you do growing up esp. the "growing" part will effect you the rest of your life and you  will be "older" a lot longer than being "younger"   

Happy birthday smithatheart. Being a smith and woodworker at age 13 is quite an accomplishment. I'm guessing that learning how to post pictures won't be that big a step for you. Your cast iron anvil, might it be grey, white or ductile? Ductile iron can make a good anvil.

i don't go fast i use a larger hammer so i can see where i swing but when i get tired i go to 1.5 then a 2 then 3 and i totally understand that it is heavy but my mentor told me when forging go slow and know my boundrys and know when to stop and i know when to stop i understand your point of view but thank you and now that i think i will start using a smaller hammer