Jump to content
I Forge Iron

New to me Trenton Anvil

Recommended Posts

That looks exactly like the one I use. Funny. I otta snap a pic and post it up on here. 

I was informed it is a shoers anvil. Can anyone second that? Why the two pritchel holes and i was told the clip to forge a clip. Is that right? Don't some call them caulks?

I'd be interested in knowing what part of the shoe is forged there on side of horn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clips are up.....caulks are down.  Got it. Now, how does a farrier use that knub on the side of the horn? 

......and how come folks cannot agree on where the Trenton units were made. This site says Columbus ohio and also Trenton NJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to describe with words. The "knub" is called a clip horn, even though it is not a horn. A clip can be drawn at the toe or side(s) of the shoe. To begin, the shoe is held at about a 45 degree angle off vertical, foot surface down, ground surface up. A small portion of the foot surface near the outer edge of the shoe is made to contact the far semi-circular edge of the clip horn. Working hot, that portion of the shoe is hammered back into the clip horn. As the hammering continues, the shoe is lowered bit by bit until it is no longer at 45, but plumb, ground surface away from you, foot surface toward you. If all goes well, you will be drawing a relatively thin projection, the clip, over the top of the clip horn. When the shoe is nailed onto the hoof, the clips are visible and are cold hammered toward the hoof wall to conform to the wall angle. Clips do not help hold the shoe on the foot. They keep the shoe from shifting on the foot, especially used on athletic horses, such a hunters, jumpers, and game horses.

After the clip is drawn, an inspection of the shoe's foot surface will show a slight crescent shaped depression which is where some of material came from to form the clip. Lots of farriers did not like this depression; they termed it "gutting out the foot surface." Therefore, most farriers drew their clips off the straight side of the anvil with the ball end of a ball peen hammer or a similar hammer of their liking. This preserved more of the foot surface.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

correct. That is what I have seen in the videos, with ball peen hammer, along the side of the anvil. I have always pointed out the farriers anvil to folks(compare it to the other anvils) and mentioned the knub and refer to that as simply the "clip". Thanks. I will use the term "clip horn"

I found a few pics of said anvil. This is some years back and have polished it up. It's still very well worn ...............but I use it quite a bit. I recently remounted it atop a large section of elm.

zoar blacksmithing 8-21 023.jpg

Blacksmithing @ Harvest Fest 2011 pic 2 sm.JPG

Forge Stuff 001.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary Huston has a video about making a clipping hammer.  In that video, at about 13:30, he shows how to make a clip on a horseshoe.  He doesn't use an anvil clip horn but rather makes it the old fashioned way on his regular anvil.  I tried three times to post this, but the bugs in the software prevented it...ARGHHHH!!!

Use the link without the quotes.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...