I Forge Iron

Found an Anvil - What's it Worth?

Not taboo to paint, and some well known anvils like Sodefors were painted from the factory. It is your anvil, do what you want with it. Personally I have thought about a custom paint job on at least one of my anvils. May go the rockabilly / rat rod style and do a flat black with red and white pinstripes.

35 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Not taboo to paint, and some well known anvils like Sodefors were painted from the factory. It is your anvil, do what you want with it. Personally I have thought about a custom paint job on at least one of my anvils. May go the rockabilly / rat rod style and do a flat black with red and white pinstripes.

That'd be awesome...please share if you do.

The Scottish family crest and plaid pattern is definitely another option...I already have a matching blanket, scarf, tie and cufflinks...

Nah, there's nothing wrong with painting your anvil. Just because a lot of people don't like it doesn't mean you have to do what they like. Most, (many?) anvils came from the factory painted once the industrial revolution started kicking in.

Originally I finished my Soderfors with the wax mix recipe in Alex Bealer's "Art Of Blacksmithing" that included soot. I put it on the anvil when it was pretty warm so it soaked in and wiped clean. I think black shoe polish would've done as well without as much heat. My next go will be with Trewax whatever color it is  and turns out will be fine.

In my few years practicing the craft I've found the tool's color has no appreciable effect on it's performance.

Frosty The Lucky.

On my big reflinghaus I want to do charcoal grey with candy apple red ghost flames.  Or jet black with charcoal and candy apple ghost flames.  Only problem is my tool colors are yellow and black.  But I guess I have enough bumble bees in the shop I can branch out some.  

Free wheeler have you retried the ball Bering test? Some times if there is paint on the face that can hamper the rebound.