I Forge Iron

New Tire hammer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I will be getting two different sets of plans, the tire hammer plans and also The Appalachian Power Hammer, which one would you prefer over the other. I have never built one before, but I am excited to get my plans and start as soon as I can.

If you have the means, the Tire Hammer is the way to go. It will allow for heavier weights on the head. From what I have seen, when built properly a tire hammer will outperform an Applalachian on larger stock.

(I built the APH because it is what works for me at this time)

Having examined the tire hammers mechanism it is a hand built Little Giant. Instead of a clutch you use the electric motor moving in and out to provide that function. Overall it is a good substitute for a L.G. However if you have the junk around to build a Rusty there is nothing wrong with building one of them either.

these are good questions and a lot of good answers.. ive been reading the book pounding out the profits and there are a lot of similaritys from history .. bolth systems worked and bolth have possable problems it really depends on what you have to work with anyone of them is going to be better than no hammer! have fun

I was fortunate enough to visit lightening forge in Salt Lake City and they have 2 tire hammers in use, and the owner stated he uses it for all manner of items, it's great for either the hobbyist or pro. I certainly could not be happier with mine.