I Forge Iron

rose blanks

i was just wondering where ya'll buy rose blank cut outs for making roses. I don't need to buy them buy the hundreds, just individually. No, I do not have a plasma cutter, I do have an angle grinder but I don't think that's capable of cutting out rose blanks. I did see the video that TechnicusJoe made about how to forge a rose but it just seemed like a lot of work and I cant find any steel that large. Also if any of yall have any ideas of how to make rose blanks with simple hand tools, than that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Littleblacksmith

I've notched between the petals with the super thin zip disk and made a really narrow chisel to cut out the outside.  Not the fastest but does go good once your in a groove.   The material I have been using for  petals has been a 45 gal drum.  the stems and leaves are made from 3/8 round. P1040397.thumb.JPG.186f23f404d0c7268e031DSC02609.thumb.JPG.812ad73ec38dce9ecf03cDSC02610.thumb.JPG.13c23fc1368fec9867090DSC01613.thumb.JPG.86c4ab83e477db254ab9b

42 minutes ago, Dogsoldat said:

The material I have been using for  petals has been a 45 gal drum

so about 1/8 inch material or thinner? Sounds like a chisel is something that I could do. like you said would just take a bit of time

49 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

copper sheet and chisel?

would a large copper pipe unfolded work? do you know of a good/cheep place to purchase a copper plate- I wouldn't need a whole lot, just enough to make one rose, since it seems like a fun/challenging project. I think that copper would look really nice!

Littleblacksmith

In the picture of the chisels you can see the start of some small copper roses.  1/4" round for stems and leaves and the tubing I had kicking around was 1/2".  with the copper I have been using three layers of petals.  I'd have to dig out the measurements for the diameters on the petals but can post if you like.  Other thing with copper pipe/tubing is anneal between steps.  Comes fairly hard as drawn.

29 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

would a large copper pipe unfolded work? do you know of a good/cheep place to purchase a copper plate- I wouldn't need a whole lot, just enough to make one rose, since it seems like a fun/challenging project. I think that copper would look really nice!

Littleblacksmith

Copper pipe will unfold easily if heated a quenched. Please look that one up from someone more knowledgable then me. It is pretty neat how soft it gets if done right tho.   

I wish I remembered the starting diameter pipe but I forget and am not in the right mind to figure it out. But here is some pipe I heated and quenched and cut open and flattened. It's not big enough for the pattern I have but it wasn't all that big of pipe and is around a 1/16" thick or a lil better. Bigger pipe should still be a breeze if annealed correctly. Hopefully someone is around better to comment on copper then me. Just an idea. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

so about 1/8 inch material or thinner? Sounds like a chisel is something that I could do. like you said would just take a bit of time

Littleblacksmith

Make friends with a plumber and get some scrap pipe. 

That must be a piece of 3/4" tubing Das.  The 1/2" tubing I unzipped this last weekend is 1 7/8" wide when flat.  I cut out the circles, drill the 1/8" center hole.  Stack like petals together with a nail or drill bit though the holes.  Clamp in vise and cut between the petals with a hacksaw.  Then a few nips on the corners and the right shape is achieved.  Texture and Dish. Anneal, DSC02611.thumb.JPG.c99f623437302f7618a14then they are ready for assembly.  I hope my plans are clear enough to help out. 

DSC02608.thumb.JPG.1c175e694d33cf02c6d3d

1 hour ago, Dogsoldat said:

That must be a piece of 3/4" tubing Das.  The 1/2" tubing I unzipped this last weekend is 1 7/8" wide when flat.  I cut out the circles, drill the 1/8" center hole.  Stack like petals together with a nail or drill bit though the holes.  Clamp in vise and cut between the petals with a hacksaw.  Then a few nips on the corners and the right shape is achieved.  Texture and Dish. Anneal, en they are ready for assembly.  I hope my plans are clear enough to help out. 

Knew someone would help out :) seem clear to me. good job.

18 hours ago, Dogsoldat said:

.  Clamp in vise and cut between the petals with a hacksaw.  Then a few nips on the corners and the right shape is achieved.  Texture and Dish. Anneal,

so do you forge tenon on the end of the bar and stack on the petals and heat up the end of the tenon and rivet it?thanks for the pictures and the replies, they have helped out a lot. Dogsoldat, I really like the curved chisel that you made to help cut out the petals. assuming that you made it, to get the curved end, did you use a swage block, or what. thanks for all the help so far everybody!

Littleblacksmith

I was trying to remember how I had done it before when I had started a few more this last weekend.  I think how I was doing it was step it down behind the lump. and take it to the bench grinder till the tenon fit the monkey tool I had made. Stick it in the clamp and set the shoulder with the monkey tool.  You do have to be careful if you reheat the peened end as the copper heats much faster than the steel and you never seem to get a proper fit afterwards.  This is were a good known mild steel works best along with a long slow cool down so it doesn't harden any. I do remember I ended up with a piece of medium/high carbon round that would air harden easily being so small.  That set of stems ended up in the scrap bucket simple couldn't peen the end over.  Can't remember whether that curved chisel was for roses or something else but it does help on the copper sepals.

10 hours ago, tdaleh said:

Make your tennons square and your petals wont move around.

that's something I had not thought about. it would probably help when shaping or bending the petals up.

10 hours ago, Dogsoldat said:

You do have to be careful if you reheat the peened end as the copper heats much faster than the steel and you never seem to get a proper fit afterwards.

another good point

Littleblacksmith

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, ANGRYANVIL said:

I use some 22 gage steel sheets. Easy to cut out with snips.  the rod is quarter inch.  

FB_IMG_1457931578224.jpg

FB_IMG_1457931606990.jpg

no texturing? is it to thin to texture the petals?

Littleblacksmith

• 9 months later...

Try Plank n Ingot. Google them and you find some nice flowers and rose sets, even in copper. I use them to save time and money, when I need to get a lot done in a hurry.  They are plasma cut, just texture and dish, assemble on a stem of your choice and finish. He cuts them out of 20 gauge, and I got some lily blanks that are 16 gauge. If you contact them direct and get a bundle, he will charge less for the whole shipment, rather than one set at a time.