I Forge Iron

Thermal Mass

Mikey98118

Apology accepted, Frosty.

Thomas; I liked your point, not that I agree with it; don't find anything wrong with it, either. A definitive answer could only come through experiment. So, what I like about your point is that it ends up being food for thought on my end; never enjoyed ambivalence before, but it seems to make a great starting place for new insights, lately.

On the other hand, this thread is getting worn out, and there are many other subjects to explore...I wouldn't mind getting back to ceramic nozzles, and ribbon burners just got a new twist from John. It seems JC read closely about Giberson's latest product, while I just looked and leaped past a mine of potential information on ribbon burners.

The first conclusion, that they need to be fan-blown at all, has been blown away by Giberson's naturally aspirated full venturi ribbon burners (look this up on Joppa Glass website). A tentative alternative view might be that they put out about one-third the heat for the same size head, if they are not fan-blown. At any rate, this is a whole new aspect of ribbon burners. Shall we all saddle up and meet on one of the ribbon burner threads to kick this new information around? That way, we can surround him; he wasn't involved in this thread at all. I like to round up "all of the usual suspects."

My first experience with Ribbon burners was at a blacksmith shop up above 7000' altitude.  We had a 2 day SWABA meeting there and the host asked us if we would like to work on any of our own projects while we were there.  Well I had thrown a couple of feet of 2.5" sq stock in the truck "just in case" and proceeded to forge it into the shaft for a stake anvil (about 3' length when the spike and tenon were drawn  out and some tapering between the ends as well)  Anyway at 7000+' his blown ribbon burner had the forge hot enough that someone sharing it managed to forge weld a piece of 3/4" rod to my piece just by shoving it into it while they were both hot.  No flux, No cleaning, No nothing!  Had to use a fairly large hammer to separate them.  I was impressed...