I Forge Iron

This may be old hat to folks but it was new to me.

I recently made this peacock shaped sign bracket for some clients who said they were going to use stick on reflective vinyl lettering. At first I cringed as I imagined the lettering to look like some awful thick perspex scar on my work, but I was really pleasantly surprised by the result. Turns out it's the same stuff sign written vans use.

The lettering comes pre spaced and in order so you just peel the backing off in one hit & don't have to faff around individually placing letters. Needless to say there's a variety of fonts to choose from & you choose the letter sizes. Best of all it's quick & cheap!

FB_IMG_1456075141007.jpg

FB_IMG_1456075167766.jpg

I use a Cameo Silhouette cutter to cut the vinyl . They are under$300.

then etch with a battery charger and salt water. I have a video but can't seem to post it now. Will try later.

here is a quick exampleimage.thumb.jpg.ccb61cbd63e0ed298252e8e6

Couple more examples

image.thumb.jpg.e92daf5b6a697fd134cec6e6

image.thumb.jpg.d87e27e02ac73e013fe3d5b3

Video clip, sorry about the poor quality.TG9HaA5FP00

The vinyl comes in rolls and you cut what you need up to 10' long and 12" wide.capacity in the cutter.

it is just like a sticker.image.thumb.jpg.7dc3c132bca784c4f77230e4

Vynal lettering doesn't last long out here with massive UV loads and temps we get in the summer---had a week where the temps were over 112 degF every day during a recent summer.  And yes you don't etch over galvanized; but you can etch stainless, bronze, etc.

7 hours ago, Joel OF said:

Thanks, interesting process. Looks like something suited to decorative interior details, but I'm not sure if that would be safe to do ontop of zinc sprayed/galvanized exterior work.

There is a video of how to apply the vinyl lettering on this link:

That is the same stuff, it's just nice to be able to draw out what you want. I forgot you guys galv all your outdoor items. I don't think it would be appropriate in that case. 

Either way that peacock is inspiring!

Etch it then have it galvanized. There used to be a plating shop on Mtn. View Drive maybe 2 blocks from you Tristan that electro galvanized. They also made Alaska Husky batteries.

It also makes good sand blast masking, not to mention silk screen patterns. Handy gizmo.

Frosty The Lucky.