I Forge Iron

Help id at my new anvil

kyaw, welcome to the forum.

The anvil looks really nice.  You might want to recheck your measurements.  From the photo, I measure that the length of the face is about 4 1/4 times the width.  Your length of 10" and width of 5" are about 2 times length/width. 

well you take a ball bearing---3/8" to 1" in diameter and a ruler and let the ball bearing drop from the 10 unit marking and observer how far it bounces back up. The higher it bounces on it's own the better 80% is quite good 70% fair 60% poor; etc.   Even good brands of anvils can have lost their temper in a fire and any brand that bounces 80%+ is by definition a good anvil

Yes. U r right arkie. Yesterday i measured my anvil. Table lenght = 20 in, width 5 in, height is 14 in, weight 3cwt at print on one side. Base lenght 14" and base width 10" . Can anybody know the mark at base plate is???? Today i clean the rust and i found that there is some logo or alphabet or sthg at base plate. Is my anvil brand is Brooks???

After cleaning with angle grinder wire brush head, i found a lots of small holes under the horn and at the base. I think its was a rusty holes. Pls give me advice and help to repair holes. I have no idea.

Thanks for the help Thomas. I got the result to 8.2 to 8.5 at ruler scale. I used my camera for rebound lenght. I played back slow motion and average result of 8.2 to 8.5. I think my anvil ring is a little bit louder than the ring i heard at blacksmith shop. Is that normal???

Anvils that should ring should ring.  Anvils that shouldn't ring shouldn't ring.  Cast steel anvils tend to ring louder than built up wrought iron anvils.  Note too that cast steel anvils may have casting bubbles; often more on the base section.  Need to see yours to determine what type they are.  As you are not using the base for much no need to repair them.  Note that the ring is a bad thing as it damages your hearing and can annoy the neighbors/SOs  so if your anvil rings loudly make a mounting for it that kills the ring.  (search the forums for *many* suggestions....)

2 hours ago, kyaw.khl said:

Thanks for the help u guys. Now im starting ring a bell. Did i need to paint anti-rust for the base????

Just wipe it down with some boiled linseed oil. Takes a few days to completely dry but looks good and protects it very well. Be sure to read the instructions on clean up on the can for that stuff can spontaneity ignite rags. If that stuff is not available in your area just wipe it down with a light oil once in a while.