I Forge Iron

Whole lot of shaking going on.

I heard it made CNN but local news didn't say anything I noticed. At around 1:30 this morning a 7.1 earthquake shook the Iniskin peninsula(?) across cook Inlet from and south of Anchorage. It woke me out of a sound sleep and I don't wake up that easy. Teenylittlemetalguy lives in Anchorage and he said it lasted maybe 5 minutes after he woke up.

Seeing as it wasn't news worthy enough I took a look at http://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes

This is a UA site that just came online recently. Anyway, I winkled out how to find the quakes by the time and located the 1:30 quake. There was a heck of a cluster of quakes but this is a really REALLY active zone so I didn't take much notice, there are swarms regularly spread around this fault system. Wow I thought 12-15 quakes in one day! Later I was pointing out the cluster to Deb and there were only maybe 7 so I read the legend again. Red spots are in the last TWO HOURS, not 24. The orange spots are the last 2 days and the yellow two weeks.

I haven't looked up the new geology map of Alaska UA put up recently but will. I just can't help thinking that kind of cluster of steady shaking might mean a volcano is getting ready to get interesting. It's been a few years since I could watch a volcano from the front porch.

This is as much to try reaching the Alaskan guys as anyone else. Deb and I are fine, just a couple boxes to pick up and the well to clear. Please shout out so we know you're okay or need anything.

Frosty The Lucky.

At my house few items fell over, the biggest mess was the water that sloshed out of the fish tank. Further south around Soldotna it ruptured gas lines in a neighborhood and 4 houses were damaged by fire. This was the biggest one I have felt in the 30+ years I have been here!

The epicenter was in an active volcanic reagion where the 1912 Katmai-Novarupta eruption occurred creating the valley of 10,000 smokes which is still cooling 100+ years later!

Oh man Frosty I was sure glad all my rivets were tight.  I think it shook the scale right off some of the iron I just forged.

My slag tubs were sloshing.  My dogs woke me up about a second before it hit.   I am a true believer animals can

sense it happening.   Its not the first time they have alerted us to a quake up here in Alaska.

My wife wasn't to happy with me when she realized I was more worried about my shop then her china hutches.

Jim "Arctic Anvil"