I Forge Iron

what should I preheat 1.5" plate to?

300 deg would be adequate according to Lincoln info I have.   However, that kind of assumes you are using a stick and industrial capacity welder.  Not really and expert opinion though as I'm a HOBBY class welder.

Much heavier that is really needed for an anvil stand  imho.    When my stump rotted out I followed the basic design of Mark Aspery's "Skills of the Blacksmith"

It's a decent sized mig machine for my shop, it will do the job. I assume both plate and legs are mild steel, and I'm not real sure how many passes it will take. Whatever looks right I suppose, I'm far from a professional but I can make a pretty looking weld most of the time.

What is the max thickness your machine is rated for and what size wire are you running? Assuming .035 solid wire with shielding gas at 26 volts you would be okay with one pass and a 1/4" weld. If not, preheat as mentioned and do 3 passes (a root and 2 cover passes) on a beveled and cleaned joint should be just fine. I don't know your experience as a weldor though so I'm not really sure what to suggest to YOU in particular. 

Ivan's recommendation is good.  Be sure to put some cross bracing on the legs, maybe near the bottom to stabilize them.  Something like 1/2" or larger rod/bar would be fine.  That will reduce the stress on your legs-to-plate welds as well.

Greetings Setlab ,

Why weld that 1 1/2 at all.. I would just make an angle iron bed .. square .. For the  plate to sit in and than complete your stand with your uprights .. A simple tack Weld on the bottom if you wish .. All the force is down . Just this old farm boys 2c

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Lay that plate on the floor and use it for upsetting. Then make your anvil stand from 2" angle iron a flange up section fitted to the anvil's foot and 3 legs. There is absolutely no good reason to make such a heavy anvil stand it doesn't improve performance.

Below is a pic of my anvil stand. The hammer and tong racks wedge between the stand and anvil to wedge it solidly in place, it works a treat. You could weld mine up single pass with your machine.

Frosty The Lucky.

56a488b39bd5d_Anvilstandhammerrack0s.thu

It's a millermatic 200, right now there's .035 wire in it and I'll probably just use that. I've been told the 1/4" wall tube is on the upper limit of my machine. I'm playing around with the idea of making a shelf below my anvil to brace it too. So far I've already cut my legs at 15 degree angles so I'm pretty committed to this design. Basically I'm copying this stand: 

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/28153-another-anvil-stand-build/

It'll look neat and it's something to do so why not. Plus I have bigger "upsetting blocks "so no big loss there.