I Forge Iron

Is this a striking anvil?

I found this on a auction website and seen this picture and thought it was a striking anvil since its a auction that the company has once a year were a bunch of smiths bring there things such as anvils forges etc. to sell the auction is tomorrow as of 1/21/16 cant find another picture of it with out the bottle jack on it and if you look closely at the flatters on it you will notice there is a pritchel hole                          

fi7.cgifi5.cgi

All you really need for a striking anvil is a piece of steel that you aren't afraid to beat up. The reason you have a striking anvil is so you don't damage your anvil, and striking anvils are a bit lower too. Whatever that is, striking anvil or not, it seems like it would work. There's that nice wide spot in the center which will probobly come in handy. I can't  see fto me the photos and I am no expert, but the only issue might be that it's too thin. Don't quote me on any of this, becuase I am looking for a striking anvil or going to make one myself so I don't have any experience with them. But if it's a good price, then I would say get it.

That's a pretty big chunk of metal, but it's impossible to say if it's suitable as a striking anvil.  It might be cast iron, like a tractor weight, and thus not good for a striking anvil.  There might be a giant hole under the screw jack, hence the differing width.  Just too hard to say.

Though, if it is quality steel, mild or otherwise, it would certainly work as a striking anvil.  Just depends on whether it's cast iron or not.

Is it listed in the auction? I'd try to contact them and find out what it is. The fact that the object in question is covered with other tools leads me to think that they don't intend to sell it and are using it to stage the other tools for photographs. Could be a steel block but I'm inclined to think it's a weight of some kind and likely cast iron. I've never seen one quite like that but I certainly haven't seen them all.

The pritchel hole might not be a pritchel hole either. The second photo shows what appears to be a black dot. That could be a hole, or it could be a sticker or a smudge that you want to believe is a pritchel hole. Without some depth for reference it could be any number of things. 

maybe there it a hole under the bottle jack that someone drifted with hand tools?:o

maybe its cheese and the coloring is mould?

who knows im sure if it goes cheep enough you will buy it and if it turns out to be cast iron it will make a good bookend :D

how far from home is it?

is that a PW under the table?

14 hours ago, MarkDobson said:

it looks like a tractor weight to me, but its hard to tell with all the other stuff around it. if your thinking of purchasing it or the lot id say bring a ball bearing and test it

its actually a tinners anvil as they called it and im pretty Shure an Amish man brought it in and ill take his word for it also it went over $200