I Forge Iron

Girls like butterflies. The boss's daughter will think that is wonderful.

You are very good at concealing the welds, and you've managed to keep the symmetry really well there. I'm guessing you had a pattern on the floor to work from.

Spark plugs make great bodies. I use them often for small scorpions. There's not much to weld onto on the tail end though!

Your piece has added interest with the shadows cast on the wall.

Great work; thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks Ausfire. I did bend some coat hangers around into wing shapes and laid them out to get a rough pattern. After I had the pieces roughly how I liked them I had to reconstruct the pieces upside down in order to weld from the back side and the wing pattern was only held up to it as a general guideline at that point. It's a real puzzle to reverse all the separate pieces and then try to match it on the other wing. 

Your right on the spark plugs. I did go back and forth on that for the abdomin but liked the spark plug in the end. 

8 minutes ago, MarkDobson said:

that looks really good! if you guys keep up this metal sculpting stuff i might have to give it a try, providing i dont drop all of my pieces into the snow haha

Thanks Mark. Give it a go. Always like seeing what others come up with. 

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

After I had the pieces roughly how I liked them I had to reconstruct the pieces upside down in order to weld from the back side

I try to layout my pieces upside down and imagine what it's like from the front  and then go ahead and do the welds. Saves double handling.

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

I try to layout my pieces upside down and imagine what it's like from the front  and then go ahead and do the welds. Saves double handling.

It was pretty time consuming laying it all back out upside down. Maybe I will be more confident once I've done more.

Really nice job Das. That looks like you planned on the shadow as part of the piece.

Give this a try. Instead of laying pieces out upside down and reversing them to weld just look at them through a mirror. You can lay it out on the bench and weld it right up. It will be reversed left to right but that's easy to adjust for.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Really nice job Das. That looks like you planned on the shadow as part of the piece.

Give this a try. Instead of laying pieces out upside down and reversing them to weld just look at them through a mirror. You can lay it out on the bench and weld it right up. It will be reversed left to right but that's easy to adjust for.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty. The shadows are a pleasant side effect, but it's in mind now so future ideas.

After Ausfire mentioned setting it up upside down I had thought of a mirror but then I thought what welding does to glass :huh:. Your idea is valid but it was more of the what piece on top of the other piece. I'm sure the suggestion will stick with me for future pieces :) beauty of posting my work is all the ideas that come out of it and ways to improve. You guys are great. 

Move the mirror before you weld or use the cheapo dollar store plastic mirrors?

Think of it from another angle. If it weren't for places like this those of us who have ideas running around our minds all the time wouldn't have anywhere to vent our imaginations. A good audience is a treasure.

Frosty The Lucky.