I Forge Iron

Devil forge

harry robinette

Looking to buy Devil forge with 80,000 BTU burner. Mainly for in my basement shop for winter doing small things just keeping busy and make some tooling for my coal/coke forge . Now my question, is this forge worth the money ?  I DON'T won't to build a forge.

This is on eBay for $130.00  Would appreciate any thoughts you folks could give me.

Thanks Rthibeau, I was under a different impression and I'm REALLY glad I ask here.

I talked to a guy while I was at the Airgas store getting tanks filled. He started talking about his gas forge in his basement. I figured I've been reading allot here so maybe I'd asks here cause I haven't see anything about this.

Again Thanks allot

• 8 months later...

I have a single burner devil forge I got as a Father's Day gift. It's a good little forge but it was made in Serbia. None of the connections will fit US propane. It was an easy fix though. find the US equivalent in sizes and get BBQ fittings. There is a YouTube video on how to covert that was hard to understand and way to difficult. Just cut the hose off and replace with a clamp.

There is a US based blacksmithing school out of WA state selling single burner (150k BTU) portable forges on eBay (ID parkerpickensataol) that are similar to the eastern European forges but use heavier gauge steel for the body and a much higher output burner.  They come set up to use the same 20 lb propane tank you use with your gas grill.

I've been using mine since June of last year and it works great, I just use a couple of fire bricks front and back to keep most of the heat inside and it's both fast and reliable so far.  Same basic design as the devil forge, I'd suggest adding a layer of refractory over the kaowool blanket as it can give off some nasty particulate when heated that does bad things to your lungs over time. 

I inquired about the Devil forge about they informed me the lining is not coated with anything to prevent airborne fibers. He told me if you want to coat the lining do it yourself.

I wondered why the price was so low, and the pictures appear to have no coatings.

Brazer,

"He" is probably the importer; not the builder. It would be impractical to finish coat a ceramic fiber product and then ship it. Taking care of these details yourself allows your to bypass all the hard work, that you are buying a forge in order to avoid. If you're looking to squire a turn-key forge, it will cost about three times this price.

I bought one of these a few months ago, apart from the lack of rigidiser I'm pretty happy with it. Its not a big job to sort the ceramic fibre and you would need to replace it at some point anyway. I couldn't find anything close to the price elsewhere so for a tiny amount of effort on my part it was worth it. I will be making my next forge myself but this allows me to get some forging done in the meantime - I have spent way too much time bodging/trying to get other solid fuel forges working that would probably have been better spent actually hammering hot metal.

The 150k BTU version of this thing is a dream with smaller stock, I can fire it up cold and have a bit of 1/2" square or round glowing orange in less than 5 minutes, not much downtime between heats to get it back either once the forge itself is fully warmed up.  The shape is limiting if you work with anything but straight stock or smaller pieces though.  It's good on gas and doesn't take much adjustment once you get it dialed-in.

For the relatively small investment I figure it will probably be in my shop for life, perfect for a portable setup or for smaller projects even if you end up with a larger more complex forge down the road.   No power or complex flu/chimney required (though you still need plenty of ventilation like any propane burning device that creates CO).

14 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

And the best part is that after you build your own forge, getting your money back buy selling this one will present no problem at all...if you're even willing to let it go by then. How do you like its burner?

If I'm honest I'm still learning how best to operate the burner, but so far it seems good (Mine is the DFP so up to 80k BTU, although I wouldn't like to be running it at around 25psi all the time to try to achieve that!). I was getting alot of scale at the start but closed the choke down to control the burn better - the instructions haven't translated well to English because they indicate more air equals more 'power'. I have built a Frosty-T in the background for the new forge but may run it in this body first to give a nice comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2016 at 10:28 PM, Mikey98118 said:

I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Well I decided to try out the Frosty T last night, I had left the regulator set from use with the devil forge burner (if I'm honest from more use now it hasn't been as hot as I would like). Such a change, the dragons breath was about 18inches long! Had to turn it way down at the regulator and was definitely achieving much more heat. I was running low on gas so only got to do a little bit of tinkering but any recommendations on getting it up to welding heat? I have closed off one end with 2 insulating bricks and current volume is about 280cubic inches, thanks

3 hours ago, RobbieG said:

It's a little disappointing based on how they advertise them but I never considered it as a permanent solution anyway, more of a way to learn what I want 

Advertisers in Northern Ireland are HONEST!? :o Oh you're having us on, I fell for it you got me. :rolleyes:

Over here the honesty of Salesmen, politicians and advertisements are the common base for easy jokes. Eg. How can you tell if a salesman is lying? His mouth is moving.

Heck, the only reason you can believe ANYTHING I say is I'm not trying to sell you anything. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.