I Forge Iron

Making Electrode outer coating

de1ee

Hi guys, I know there are some topics about flux powder but I have not seen any post about making electrodes.

So I am trying to make an electrode by myself. After some research, I have found out that the main equation for the electrode is low carbon steel rod+ flux powder+ Silica = Electrode

I got the low carbon steel rod with 2.5mm diameter and Silica is just a pure sand which I have it but regarding to the flux powder, there are many different ways to make it depending on what type of electrode. What I am trying to make is E6013 type. Some of you guys were recommending Borax and Boric acid etc. However, in my country there is no products that is ready to go such as Borax or Roach Proof etc, so what I am wondering is what elements plays the main role for flux powder? /as of right now, what I am assuming is even though the Borax or Roach Proof etc they are not designed to use it for flux powder, but you guys are using them because it contains the most crucial elements for flux powder, maybe i am wrong/  Russians are using a regular chalk and water glass glue which I am attaching the video below. 

Any info regarding to flux powder is appreciated.

Thank You

Please add your location to your profile. There may be someone in your area that could help you.

With Ox/Ac welding there is a flux that you dip the rod into and then weld. With industrial mig they add flux in advance of the weld, just pout it on the joints followed immediately by the electrode.

The electrodes here have a good amount of flux attached. The flux differs with the type of electrode. Some electrodes include iron in the flux.

If I recall correctly some of the early arc rod fluxes were largely saw dust so you might try saw dust and Elmer's glue (milk glue as a binder) Maybe adding a little sand or similar to develop a slag layer.

Is there a reason you don't just buy welding rod?

Frosty The Lucky.

I suspect the OP lives in an area where it is difficult/expensive to obtain welding rods, it would help if we knew where.

The primary task of arc welding flux is to provide the conditions to permit a stable arc and form a molten pool (try welding with an uncoated rod) it does this by providing an inert atmosphere at the arc. In most cases CO2. Ergo a simple wrap of paper (can be applied damp and dried) to an appropriate thickness will work. In the posted  video they use chalk (calcium carbonate) and as Frosty mentions sawdust (again carbon bearing). Powdered charcoal would be another alternative,so that part is fairly simple to achieve.

As has been mentioned above, the flux does not have to be coated on the rod but may be pilled over the weld area, which is fine for welding on a reasonably flat surface but unsuitable for overhead! The damp paper wrap method also provides for the easy inclusion of other "ingredients".

Secondary task of the flux is to promote a clean weld by removing of impurities, which hopefully form as a slag over the weld rather than inside. In the video, calcium in the chalk may be helpful, I'm unsure. I think i would start by including proprietary fluxes depending on what you have available, borax being an obvious choice to start with. However if you can't get proprietary arc rods, can you get fluxes? I suspect not. Let us  know why you need/want to make rod coatings and where you are and also what you intend welding. Then maybe we can make suggestions as to what you could try.

Be Aware, making such coatings, especially from unrefined materials, carries a risk of producing fumes which may be many times more toxic than standard formulations and precautions should be taken!