I Forge Iron

Looking for info on this one

Klorinth

I just picked up a little forge to get me going in solid fuel forging. Nothing fancy and certainly not new. It was bought last year by the guy I got it from but he just wasn't using it. Let's see if I use it now. 

The id plate says ""Canadian" sold only by Canadian Cooperative Wool Growers". The only numbers on it are a 526 and 527 on the bottom. image.jpg.77d270cdc47f6f4dcdf05f5991575f

image.jpg.e35acbe391e091afd24074f25b983a

image.jpg.687f90161819bbe4a081ea36921e67

image.jpg.324c4c7e5aefcc1c8b0b677b45411e

The belt connecting the two parts of the blower is literally a leather belt. You can see the buckle holes in it. I do leather work so that is an easy one to replace. The blower works surprisingly well. The guy I got it from said he opened it up and added oil to the moving parts. Nothing else. He didn't even clean it. 

The previous owner cut the centre out of a discer disc and put it in the bottom of the forge to lift the fire off the bottom and help it last longer. I have the disc. I happen to have a larger one already that could fill the whole forge bottom and protect the whole thing if I wanted. 

Has anyone seen a little forge like this one? Or maybe I should say have you seen this blower before? The forge is simple and just like many others. The blower is the different part. 

Now I just need some coal...

I have never seen one like that before. Wool growers...maybe it was used just for heating something , and not for smithing. 

Coal? What about charcoal, or simply wood? I have used wood scraps when my coal got low. With the blower going they turn to embers pretty quick. There is always plenty of free scrap wood to be had from various sources.

Greetings Klorinth,

I think you will find that the gearbox is an adaption . The forge looks like a common Buffalo or. Champion . What makes me think this way is you almost have to bend over to turn the crank . Just my 2c

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

If the gear box is an adaptation or modification, what would it have been originally?

The gearbox looks like it belongs there even though the belt does not. The horizontal bar that it is attached with looks original... I need to take some better pictures of that part. 

The front side of the forge does have a circular mounting point that looks like something I saw on another forge. One that used a type of lever and half gears to turn the fan underneath. 

The writing on the id plate makes me think this was something made by a common company for the Woolgrowers Coop. A company like Buffalo.

A few more pics. Please forgive the bad lighting. These are in the garage with fluorescent lights in -20 degree temps.

image.jpg.6718f1dbaf82405b6ad0cd33f1c1c5

The large mounting point is obvious on the right front of the forge.

image.jpg.dcae49caa282eab1345918b5717d5a

The mounting point at the left confuses me. I'm not sure what that is for.

image.jpg.53f3210d516b910b24ceb1b6486812

image.jpg.ffc12a43214a6b1a84f3ff1a66b05c

The fan and ash dump are all one piece. There is a little bit of welding at the top where the fan housing touches the belly of the forge. 

image.jpg.fde09afc32bcbd6df7c40431f24a72

Obviously the piece that the belt is turning on is a later mod. It doesn't match the gearbox. The hole on top does not have threads. It looks like a smooth rod is meant to be inserted. 

2 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Coal? What about charcoal, or simply wood? I have used wood scraps when my coal got low. With the blower going they turn to embers pretty quick. There is always plenty of free scrap wood to be had from various sources.

I will make some charcoal if I have to. I want to try and find a source of coal first. As much as I know I can make decent pine charcoal, a guy down the road has lots of pine for sale, I would rather not spend time and effort on it. I have lots of things that I need to be doing instead of that.

Plain firewood will be my fall back. 

Greetings again,

Your pictures show castings on the edge that are typical of a forge with a lever handle.. The casting bosses on the bottom is also a sign of the gear mechanism mounting..  Again just this old boys 2c .. I hope this helps.. 

Jim

1 hour ago, matto said:

The opposite side of the gear box has the hole for the handle yolk 

I think I see what you mean. If it was original the handle would have been on the other side so that you would face the forge differently. Turning the crank with the left hand instead of the right.

Given the placement of the 3 bolts along the top edge of the forge should I assume that those are for mounting some kind of windbreak or hood?

9 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings again,

Your pictures show castings on the edge that are typical of a forge with a lever handle.. The casting bosses on the bottom is also a sign of the gear mechanism mounting..  Again just this old boys 2c .. I hope this helps.. 

Jim

Thank you Jim. That is what I was wondering. Makes sense now that I have found a couple pictures of lever handles mounted on a forge. 

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

The gearbox was originally used to power sheep shears.  32 years of being part of a Steel/Wool couple  teaches you stuff like that.

If you google hand crank sheep shearing you can see a bunch of ones in their original use.

Now THAT is very interesting!

I would never have thought that up. And I have a flock of sheep and do my own shearing, both by hand and with powered shears. 

Very cool.

Thank you Thomas. 

It is really appropriate that I have this forge! Fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Klorinth,

Coal is available to order from any Home Hardware. Comes from their warehouse in St Jacobs, Ont.

Neil

Thank you Neil. Very helpful. I really need to ask about that at the local store. Only a few miles away.