I Forge Iron

coat/hook rack

Errorgance

hello! I'm new to the forums and relatively new to blacksmithing. 

So far I've managed to avoid making a sword, and instead I've been pounding out lots of coat hooks, tools, more tools, tools needed to make the tools, and tools to make making the tools i want to make more quick and easy.

I swear, beginners budget blacksmiting is just making tools!

the picture below is of my latest set of hooks, (this would be the 4th set I've made) and I think it shows. I hope you like it.

4 hooks.jpg

Nice job. The leaves are consistent through the set, that's a little harder than getting the rest of the hooks consistent. I can't tell from the angle but you DID roll the ends of the hook finials over far enough a heavy coat isn't hanging on an edge. Yes?

Oh yes, making tools is an ongoing feature of the craft. Nobody but NOBODY makes the right one for THAT darned job, gotta make it yourself! :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Actually I like it a lot. I think it could only look better if you antiqued the wood. 

Thanks, I left it up to its new owner to treat it however they wish, though I am beginning to suspect most won't do a thing. 

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nice job. The leaves are consistent through the set, that's a little harder than getting the rest of the hooks consistent. I can't tell from the angle but you DID roll the ends of the hook finials over far enough a heavy coat isn't hanging on an edge. Yes?

Oh yes, making tools is an ongoing feature of the craft. Nobody but NOBODY makes the right one for THAT darned job, gotta make it yourself! :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures from another angle.  I think I understand what you mean, that a hard edge that will wear through, rip or catch on a heavy coat?

Well no worry not, for these hooks now resides in San Diego Ca. "Heavy coats? What's that?"

That said, I never thought about a hard edge/curve ripping through, version 5 shall be perfect!

It drops below 40f in San Diego so sure they  have heavy coats.

You just want the point that takes the most weight to be smooth and reasonably large so coats, etc. can't snag or wear through.

# 5 Perfect?! Oh, I get it you got me good there! :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, jeremy k said:

Throw a loop just below the leaf, so it points down about a 30-45º angle so it doesn't look like a snake as I've had many ppl told me when I started with similar hooks. Also, yes a wider coat rest.

Thank you, I'll have to try that next time, I imagine that will help prevent the snake look that my second coat rack badly suffered from!