I Forge Iron

How to repair a screw box?

SteveP1981

Had a really nice Columbian given to me yesterday and have a chance to buy a couple others on the really cheap. Problem i have is they all have a worn out screw box, I've inspected all of them and the screw itself is good but little to no threads left in the screw box itself. 

If it's possible and reasonable to repair this i will be the owner of one perfectly functional (from my first purchase) and 5 broken vises by the end of the day tomorrow for a combined investment of 75 bucks...... money i would like to recoup (and multiply slightly) to put back into my anvil fund. 

Steve

Instead of retyping the massive stack of posts already on this topic; may I commend the search function to you.  

Most involve replacing both parts but there is a method of casting a babbitt liner for your screwbox mentioned in the old blacksmithing books.  I saw some house jacks at the fleamarket today that would make good replacement cores...

Ok so let me try to narrow my question since I've searched for way to long with nothing fruitful at all. 

Would it be possible to weld a nut to the striped out screw box? Maybe? I'm really not finding anything but glimpses at suggestions but no real information on how one might go about it. 

Steve

Moglice has been used to re-cast worn out nuts and screw boxes on precision equipment.  I haven't done it so don't know the details but their site says the info is in their applications manual.  Appears that you cast it over the existing screw and remaining nut threads, heat slightly after a day, and end up with a perfect thread to match.  Supposed to be about as strong as the original material.  Moglice.com

your mileage may vary.

The issue is that the threads on a post vise screw are not a common variety; trying to source one can be more expensive than buying another vise.  Now replacing both screw and screwbox allows you to source easier to find ones  some suggestions have been for house jacks or scaffolding levelers.

The repairs will run more than the cost of a vise in good condition. My last vise a few months ago is a 4.5" Columbian in excellent condition, and it was $40.

I would still pick them up, then repair as parts come available, or convert to a foot operation/cam/etc.....

Big acme threads would not be the best, but they would work.

Right on. That's my biggest thing really. Can i repair them to a fully functional piece and then all be able to get 40 bucks or so out of it at even a minimal profit. Obviously the one given to me for free is Jay going to be parts and time so that's all on me. The others there are 4 of them and the guy said he would take 50 for them but they all have worn out screw boxes. I'll explain my point and try to get him down a bit. If it works out to be cheap enough I'll grab them for parts and such. I was hoping there was a way to repair them for 15 maybe 20 bucks to a good working condition. 

Steve

I have heard of wrapping some square stock onto the screw, then drilling out the box, inserting the coil made from the screw and some brazing paste into the box and then applying heat to braze it into the box.  The problem is, I don't remember if I heard of this as something that seemed like a good idea at the time or if it actually worked.

That is the way they used to be made and I actually have had one or two done that way---like my pre-1800 postvise  

However unless done just right it's not real strong. If you want to braze something in, braze in a scaffolding leveling jack or a machined down house jack http://www.tksimplex.com/customfiles/SJsmall_l.jpg  Though the screw jack can just be worked down to take the place of the screwbox...

I have cut a few on the lathe. It is not a job for the impatient.

the cutting tools for a square thread are a custom ground job. strictly DIY and the boring bar has to be stiff or the chatter and snapped cutting tips drive me insane.

I have ten or so vices stacked in the shed waiting for an enthusiasm infection to strike.