I Forge Iron

post vise

Bud in PA

Just starting out I've got an anvil, homemade forge, and a couple of hammers. The better half would be upset if she knew what post vises cost and I bought one. I have a machinests vice with 8 " jaws, and weighs about 75 lbs.. How important is a post vice to someone starting out?

Well it's totally unneeded or you will use it every day depending on what you will be doing and how you plan to do it.  Most of my postvises have cost under US$30---make some bottle openers and pay for one out of your sales!  (Frankly I consider a good postvise more important than a London Pattern anvil for many smiths.  Your machinist vise will deal with a lot of straightening and twisting issues; just no hammering on it!)

And I would be hesitant to buy one on eBay the prices are outrageous, and craigslist isn't far behind with post vises, be patient hit flea markets and I found a nice one at a antique shop for $28, so deals are out there, once in awhile you can get lucky at a auction

I picked up a nice complete 4" Columbian recently for $40. Probably could have got it for even less, but I live in a small community I didn't want to get a reputation just yet..... It had been listed for $100, and I found out after I bought it that it was headed for the local thrift shop if I had not bought it. 

They do come in handy, so plan on getting one in the future. 

Most of mine came from automotive swapmeets $5-$15 each. One I rescued from a home that was being bulldozed the next day, one from Craigslist, and the last one came off of a local Facebook yard sale page. My big Iron City was bought by my Dad at an old school antique stores "yard". She had piles of stuff just out in the yard slowly getting covered in dirt,and leaves. Our Champion forge also came from her.

13 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning, Ken,

Sometimes if you stop looking so hard and just keep your ears and eyes open, you will find one. Sometimes in the most unlikely place and time.

Neil

Thanks but i think you thought I was looking for  my 4th x'wife.... that sounds exactly like i found them :-) JK 

True, I agree...and I am not worried about it honestly, it is just frustrating to see a guy pull out 2 anvils 2 post vise and a truck load of other smith stuff and pay 200$ and i scraped up for a year just looking for railroad track lol......(blacksmith envy I guess)

I worry more about coal and Practice time then post anvils at least for now

Ken.

Try asking at machine snd welding shops. Some of them have unused smithing stuff shoved back in a corner from Dad or Grandpa or the previous owner. Over the years i have seen several large cone mandrels and swage blocks at old auto repair shops, just never when i had any money with me.