I Forge Iron

Leather stamps

Get your 1045 nice and hot and do it fast. As stated above will depend on complexity of the leather stamp. Remember that you have a good chance of messing up your leather stamp. I did it twice in the past. Each time I was more satisfied when I went and filed in the marks on a different piece of steel. Making a specialty stamp as long as it's not too complex can be pretty easy. Simple shapes with simple filework goes good. Another issue with the leather stamp approach is depth of stamping into the target steel. Which is to say not far.

I did some quick poking around and it looks like SOP for leather stamps is magnesium with hardened steel being the "upgraded" custom model.

However, it also appears that the custom stamp industry is now doing them by laser cutting so it's a lot cheaper to get a custom stamp made than it used to be.  Might be something to look into.

Are you doing one special stamp or thinking about using a variety of the decorative stamps that are available for leather to impress patterns? I have seen hardened steel stamps to do bits and pieces of more complex shapes...small teardrops for instance that can be stamped several times over radially to make flowers.  The "segments" option might be good if what you want to stamp is complex--and partial segments might also be pretty easy to file in a roll-you-own stamp.