I Forge Iron

help with coal

Hi hibjib10987!
I use coal and Ive worked with charcoal before. One thing different is youll probably use a lot less coal than charcoal- coal doesnt burn out as quick as charcoal does.
The other thing is clinker. No big problem though, just clean out the fire now and then and it shouldnt be a big issue.
And then theres smell- it depends on what quality coal you have- bad coal have a lot of sulpher in it so it makes a lot of stinking yellow smoke when you first fire it up. So make sure you have enough ventilation!
Thats just my opinion fwiw!
Bb

hibjib, You are right about the clinker. I burn coal in my side blast, and if the clinker starts to build up, the blast will just burn a hole through the middle of it. So you end up with clinker donuts instead of clinker burgers. I haven't burned charcoal, but I would imagine it wouldn't smoke and burn off as many gasses as coal does when it is coking up. Usually mine is done with the ugly smoke within about 10-15 minutes of starting it up.