I Forge Iron

Are old tractor steering parts good for hammer making?

Hopefully I haven't already asked this, but I did search.

I've got this piece of a steering mechanism to an old international tractor.That main shaft is about 1 3/4" in dia. Would this make good hammer material and if so anyone have an idea how much would I need to cut off for a 4lb rounding hammer? The other end is kind of tapered. I thought about making a drift or something out of it.

IMG_20151030_184519526.jpgIMG_20151030_184535760.jpg

thanks gurus !

Edited by norrin_radd

Good Morning,

If you are trying to make your first Hammer out of that Spindle, It is possible but you will have to upset it quite a bit.

Kind of a Hard Lesson for a "cheap Hammer". The Steel will work, It is made for taking a pounding in the Tractor. Using "Found Steel" for something like a Hammer, is a bit of a waste of Time. What are the Heat Treatment Tables??

"Can" is a question of Ability. Yes you "Can" make a Hammer out of the Spindle.

Neil

Good Morning,

If you are trying to make your first Hammer out of that Spindle, It is possible but you will have to upset it quite a bit.

Kind of a Hard Lesson for a "cheap Hammer". The Steel will work, It is made for taking a pounding in the Tractor. Using "Found Steel" for something like a Hammer, is a bit of a waste of Time. What are the Heat Treatment Tables??

Neil

Hey,

I get what you're saying. Seems like I should try to make something worth while from this though.  I'm not in a hurry so I guess I'll research it some more.

Thanks for the advice.

Good Morning,

Neil

it would make a good dog head hammer just the way it is and is ideally sized for blade projects.

Don't worry about metal you have got this will make a very good hammer, this steel is made for cyclic loads and wouldn't gonna fail. 

For a 4 lb pound hammer all i am worry about is that you will end up with too long hammer, so try to forge it concave shape on hardy hole upside down after final drift placed inside eye, i think it will help to reduce length 

it would make a good dog head hammer just the way it is and is ideally sized for blade projects.

Awwww  yeeeaahh.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

Don't worry about metal you have got this will make a very good hammer, this steel is made for cyclic loads and wouldn't gonna fail. 

For a 4 lb pound hammer all i am worry about is that you will end up with too long hammer, so try to forge it concave shape on hardy hole upside down after final drift placed inside eye, i think it will help to reduce length 

Ok thanks for that advice as well. There may be enough material to make a couple of things.

Great comments, gave me a lot to consider.

Thanks everybody.