I Forge Iron

My arms got to short!

Anyone have some helpful hints for someone new to reading glasses and cheaters in their sunglasses?  Right now I have readers on a leash around my neck, sun glasses inbound with +2.00 cheaters in them and a box full of clear safety glasses with cheaters in them strung all over the shop.  Any brands y'all can recommend, or habits to get into?

Russell

My recomendation is to get magnifiers in lexan. If your not used to bifocals its a bit of a learning curve. Wor them as a kid, had RK and no glasses for years, and back to bifocals now in my middle years.  

So its generaly better to just have a magnifier lense insted of a bifocal. As I cant see close or fare I have to have both, so its perscription lexan from the get go

I am getting so sick of disappearing posts!

Experiment with the stick on reader lenses. For the shop try putting them at the top of the safety lenses. This lets you see the ground in focus and you can tip your head forward to do close work.

Frosty The Lucky.

I finally went and had bifocals made expressly for forging

Went to great lengths to get them focused where everything would be crystal clear at the proper distance for forging.

I only use these glasses for forging.

Being bifocals I can look up and all around just fine but when I need them ( WHERE ) I need them they are just right.

Had the lenses put into some old wire rim safety glass frames with the wrap around ear pieces so they don't fall off while heavy forging .

Pretty reasonable too.

Years ago I found I needed an intermediate prescription for welding and general job site work. The old pair I had even was strong enough to let me drive with them if need be. The newer one sadly isn't strong enough to do this. I talked to my eye doc about exactly what I need and where so I could get the glasses as close to what I need as possible. He set me up with the prescriptions. The magnification is stronger than I need to read with, but weaker then I need for driving. My current pair focuses from about 16" to a bit past 4 feet really well. I do wish it focused down to about 12" for tig welding though. I have these set in a pair of prescription safety frames with shatter proof lenses. I was a bit edgy about changing over from glass to plastic because of scratches, but so far no issues with some care. They don't get pitted from grinding sparks like the old glass lenses did though which is a bonus.

I was the victim of a disappearing post also

In a nutshell, bifocals drive me nuts due to head-cocking so I got cheaters with a lower diopter for the magnifying part.  That allows a field of view from about 12" to about 4' with reasonable clarity.  Not perfect for reading, blurry at distance (but not too blurry) but the best compromise I could come up with.

It was that or trifocals.  The progressives were awful due to constantly seeking the "sweet spot"