I Forge Iron

Oxy/AC tanks, hauling safely, and storage

The sign on the front glass double door to the welding supply dealer says "we will not load any gas tanks into a closed vehicle." This would mean that I can not use a utility van, wife's car, etc to transport the gas cylinders.

If I use "the truck", standing a 4 foot tall cylinder up next to the cab just invites it to tip over on the first corner. Lay it down in the bed of the truck and it rolls from side to side.

This brings up a couple of questions.

(1) What is a SAFE way to transport cylinders?
Is it better to transport the cylinder valve to the front or valve to the back? How do you tie the cylinders down to keep them from rolling around?

(2) If a cylinder is on it's side, how long do you have to wait before you can use the cylinder after you stand it upright?

(3) While we are on a roll, what is a safe way to store the cylinders upright while they are in the shop?

YES I do put a cap on over the valve when ever the tank is not in use, including during transport.

I stand cylinders with caps up in my truck and use a nylon ratchet type cargo strap to secure. I put cylinder(s) in the front passenger side corner (so I can keep my eye on it/them) and hook the strap to the tie down eye, then wrap around tanks, then back to the eye. Ratchet the strap tight and they stay put. I don't engage in any drag racing or off-road excursions while transporting, of course. ;)
I have laid them down before and wedged something under them (wooden wedge, angle iron, etc) to keep them from rolling in a pinch. A "cradle" could be easily made from many different materials to allow bottles to ride without rolling.
NOTE: Acetylene bottles shouldn't be laid down, but if you must, a rule of thumb is to stand bottle back up for the same period of time (or longer) as the bottle was laying down before use so the contents can settle.

I tie mine upright to the headache rack in the truck bed. I don't like them rolling or lying down so I take special pains to keep them more or less immobile.

Our welding store WILL NOT put them in a closed vehicle. My wife tried to do me a favor and swap out my O2 in her Suburban one day and they told her "No", which was perfectly fine with me.

(1) What is a SAFE way to transport cylinders?
Is it better to transport the cylinder valve to the front or valve to the back? How do you tie the cylinders down to keep them from rolling around?

upright only and chained

(2) If a cylinder is on it's side, how long do you have to wait before you can use the cylinder after you stand it upright?

dont put the cylinder on its side, you do not want the acetylene and acetone to separate, unless there is someone you really dont like :P

(3) While we are on a roll, what is a safe way to store the cylinders upright while they are in the shop?

to a wall, post or cart with a safety chain preventing it (them) from tipping over

http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/deepminesafety/lib/deepminesafety/training/ppt/oxyacetylene.ppt

I usually lay my cylinders down as I feel it is safer than hauling them upright unless you have a very good way of securing them upright.

There is nothing wrong with laying O2 cylinders down and I go through O2 much faster than fuel.

Dodge is exaclty correct on the Accetylene. They must be stored upright for period of time equal to amount of time they were layed on their side and longer is better.

I have spare cylinders so I am in no time pressure to use the cylinder I just got so leaving them upright at least overnite before usage is not an issue.

By the way per DOT rules you can haul 1000 lbs of compressed gas cylinders before you need a "placard" on your vehicle, so for most of us that will not be an issue. Of course toxic or corrosive gases have smaller limit. Your insurance company will be very unhappy with you if you need a placard, especially if you have an accident.

Acetylene
Due to the carbon-to-carbon triple bond, acetylene gas is fundamentally unstable, and will decompose in an exothermic reaction if compressed to any great extent. Acetylene can explode with extreme violence if the pressure of the gas exceeds about 100 kPa (≈14.5 psi) as a gas or when in liquid or solid form, so it is shipped and stored dissolved in acetone or dimethylformamide (DMF), contained in a metal cylinder with porous filling (Agamassan), which renders it safe to transport and use.

History - Acetylene dissolved in acetone
In 1896 the French scientists Claude and Hess discovered a way to store and transport acetylene without the risk of explosion. This method is based on the fact that acetone can dissolve many times its own volume of acetylene. The French call acetylene dissolved in acetone ac

it would take several unfortunate variables to coincide for that to occur

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg327.pdf
this pdf starts with the tale of a cylinder spliting in two and sprouting wings (and a million pounds of damage to a UK factory)

An acetylene cylinder has a different design from most other gas cylinders. The porous mass is a cellular structure which completely fills the cylinder. The acetylene gas in the cylinder is dissolved in acetone which is absorbed by the porous mass. Decomposition of the acetylene is usually triggered by heat. For example if the cylinder is:

involved in a fire
scorched by flames from a blowtorch
involved in a flashback

the porous mass is designed to slow down or stifle any decomposition of the gas. From start of decomposition to the cylinder exploding should take several hours. This will usually (but not always) provide time for emergency action.

Decomposition can be triggered more easily and can proceed more rapidly if:

the porous mass has been damaged by repeated flashbacks or by mishandling or dropping the cylinder

the cylinder vavle is leaking gas (an open or leaking valve increases the rate of decomposition within the cylinder)

the acetylene in the hoses is above the pressure recommended by the supplier.

--------------

Handling acetylene cylinders with care

do not drop them
do not roll them across the floor
keep them in an upright position

in and of itself, horizontal storage will not cause an explosion,
but you also cant see inside the cylinder to ascertain the integrity of the filler
and it is a vital component to the stability of the storage
any decomposition in a damaged cylinder can progress to thermal runaway

I haul bottles laying down in the back of the truck. I have angle iron to secure the rolling issues. 19 mi for the torch set ( acetelyne o2 ) and I guess one mile for the hundred lb propane for forge. Acetelyne is set upright and not used until next day ( but valve still cracked before hooking up regulator as in all bottles ). As Scott said, good driving habits. I have no real way to build a secure upright setup to haul bottles in the Nissan ( with toolbox in back ). My welding supplier has no issues with hauling bottles laying down. No reputable supplier ( welding or LP ) will let you haul bottles in an enclosed space. Good reasons. I might also add that if you do not have training to handle and or haul bottles, get the training.

You can lay acetylene down bet even for a short 20-30 minute short trip, I would let it sit for at least an hour before use. The place I go has one that is cut in half. The inside is totally filled with a porus material.

I made a carrier out of wood that I put behind the passenger set of the car. I set the cylinders in that and tie it up and wedge it in with the front seat. It is not moving anywhere and it is better than having them in the trunk. I don't have a truck so I do the best I can.

The thing you have to remember with acetylene is that it is heavier than air so can settle in low areas. I usually drive with the window open and drive straight home.

I carry mine laying down and make a little pile of log chain on either side to keep them from rolling. Always have some chain in the truck.

We have a choice of getting our gas from two places that are about the same distance away. I go to the welding supply store because they also have the neat toys to look at :D My wife uses more ox than me making glass beads. She gets hers at an implement dealer because that works out better for her. They don't mind that she puts them in her trunk.

The 100# propane bottles she uses we get delivered by the co-op for the same price as if we went there and picked them up. I have a 250 gal tank at the shop now so no hauling and no running out for me anymore.

Hauling compressed gas cylinders in the passenger compartment of a car is scary.

A minor leak could create explosive enviroment. In the passenger compartment of a car are multiple sources of ignition. Sparks/arcs are generated by the ignition switch, the brake light switch, the seat belt warning system etc etc.

Accetylene may form an explosive enviroment waiting for a small spark to ignite it....

Oxygen may form an atomosphere where fires burn very agressively and sometimes explosively....

I have seen photos of cars that used to exist before a compressed gas cylinder they were hauling leaked.

• 6 months later...

My dealer made me sign a paper saying "you know putting it in your car is a bad idea"

I bought a pair of tanks last week.
Secured it vertically and opened the windows.

As a FYI if you are putting off buying a set the price is going up on tanks. From when I checked 3 years ago the price for this set had gone up about 150$ due to steel costs.

but valve still cracked before hooking up regulator as in all bottles .

As has been stated earlier , acetylene is very unstable above 15 psi , a full bottle is about 250 psi dissolved in acetone , cracking a bottle without the regulator installed is an extremely dangerous practice . Forgeman

the SPECIFIC reason for cracking the valve on a new bottle of acetelyne is to clear the valve of:

A: Dust or any foreign objects.

B: ANY acetone that may linger from transport to damage my regulator.

I follow the same procedure with oxygen, NOS gas for MIG or LP prior to hooking up regulators. Perhaps I am wrong in this procedure. I would never regulate acetelyne above 10 lbs for any need in my shop. I weld most days with acetelyne ( 4 fuel, 4 oxygen). In the event that I need to cut something really large with a torch ( over 3/4) and cannot use the plasma or saw I would use the gas torch regulated at 10 fuel and 30 oxygen and appropriate cutting tip.