I Forge Iron

Quench the S Hook

I'm wondering if maybe something was lost in speach here. Now as much as its possible he bought into the myth that the carbon in oil increases carbon content....hopefully that's not the case. He may have been referring to how the oil will harden on the surface (like a well seasoned cast iron pan) if dunked at a black heat? Just speculating and giving the demoing Smith the benefit of the doubt here. 

Just because someone is demoing doesn't mean they actually know of what they speak. A lot of myth is pretty ingrained into "common" blacksmith lore. I've heard lots of demonstrators say the fire refines the steel while it actually causes grain growth. It's the forging that refines the steel.

Probably the most common myth I see and hear is "quenching" the work. If it isn't at critical temp quenching only cools it off or stops the tempering draw. Dipping in oil at black heat will give blacken it like oil quenched tools say black chisels and punches.

It's just a finish for things like S hooks, calling it hardening is at best theater but probably a lack of knowledge or honesty. Unless the hook is to hang a deer or steer what's the need to harden it at all? I don't even for drive hooks and they last a long time Heck, they're usually mild or A-36 anyway.

Good to look for collaboration when you hear or see things like this. Good question.

Frosty The Lucky.

Or throw some 15n20 in there and make some damascus hooks only $30 a pop!

$30 a pop? Wanna come to my shop and make Damascus for me? :) I can offer payment in CNY, PKR or INR - very competitive wages, and I don't believe in beating my employees unless they actually deserve it.

J

$30 a pop? Wanna come to my shop and make Damascus for me? :) I can offer payment in CNY, PKR or INR - very competitive wages, and I don't believe in beating my employees unless they actually deserve it.

J

generous offer, but ill just come by sometime and show to make some B)