I Forge Iron

gin pole boom for loader machine

angiolino

Needs some careful engineering calculation.  Just my eye ball says that you will need to post more information about the tractor its weight and length and the proposed weight of lift and extension angles of the gin pole before any realistic answer can be given. 

Seen a lot of these homebuilt attachments.  Most of them are less ambitious that yours.  At the present size I think you need a serious rethink.

Trying to hang 2 tons from what you've drawn will stand the tractor on it's rear end. A stout back hoe attachment will lift 2 tons held close to the tractor but you MUST have a loader bucked full of sand, rocks, etc. and then it can be tippy.

This type of A frame gin pole lifting rig is sold commercially. I HIGHLY recommend you take pictures and careful measurements of commercially manufactured units. Heck, my real recommendation is buy one and let the manufacturer pay the lawyers if something goes wrong with it.

That is NOT a trivial project, people's lives and property will hang on it working properly.

Frosty The Lucky.

I second the worries about tractor weight.  Your tractor should have a rating for maximum loading at the 3 pt hitch and it wouldn't take much math to use the load rating at the hitch point, the distance from the rear wheel center and the total distance you want to hang your weight to see if you could even come close.  Remember to include the estimated weight of the A frame as well as a safety factor to allow for inertia and other stuff that appears as more weight.

Plus any slight side to side tractor tilt is going to put your 2 ton load near (past!) the side centers of gravity and might be risky in terms of side tilt.  I wouldn't go near anything but perfectly flat ground with a heavy weight. Since that tractor already has a high center of gravity, it wouldn't take too much tilt to take it over:  Unless you have doubles or triples on the back to widen it out.

The way it's shown, you'd need a good 2 tons of suitcase weights on the front just to not end up as a funny youtube video.  The front axel might not be able to handle that let alone the framework of the tractor when you have another 2 tons hanging off the back.

Angiolino, can I ask what you need this A frame crane to do?  Why are you building it? Why do you need it to be made to the specifications you have supplied?

Given some relevant information, it's not unlikely that the abundance of experience on this site may be able to provide you with a SAFE solution!

• 2 weeks later...