I Forge Iron

Good Substitute Anvil??

IMG_20151003_193553.jpgI'm in the very very beginning stages of smithing. In my hunt in looking for a suitable anvil (as in FREE) I was able to come across this small piece of rail, a base plate and a chunk of steel. I attached the rail to the plate with spring clips I also found. 

Will all this be usable? Or would I have to harden the base plate surface?  

Edited by clenceo

I'm not sure how well the spring clamps will work, but the rest should work well. I'd bolt the whole apparatus down to a solid surface at the right height and give it a try. I am not sure about the hardness of the base plate, but most smiths that I've encountered use the top of the rail as the main anvil.

Acualy you will find that a hunk of rail is usable on all 6 sides. Not just the top of the head were the train rode, infact for heaveyer forging placing the rail on end is advantages as you get beter efencency of the mass under the hammer. And a 1 1/2"x3" face is suficent for most work. 

As Bo T advises, bolt the plate down so the rail is at an ergonomic hight. First knuckle to rist, high. Rist high is a good place to start, after a wile you will move down a bit. 

Then I would make provisians to be able to knock the clamps lose and set the rail on end for heaveir work. Glenn often has told me, "you paid for all of the anvil, why not use it?"

If the clamps dont hold the rail tight enugh, flip the rail and drill a hole in the flange out tord the edge, flip it back over and clamp it down and use the hole as a guid to drill a matching hole in the plate. Now a simple pin will hold it from walking wile the clamps hold it down.

i see no real need to harden either the rail or the plate. Think of the plate as a tool bench. A place to attach tools.

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

That bracketing the the left will prove a bit useful too, besides using it directly to pound on it's begging to be a bender and a tool holder. A few wedges and it could suffice as a hold down for hot chisel work......I think you've scored there some my friend.