I Forge Iron

Found one!

scotto

Picked this one up. It's the first one I've found with most all the parts at what I felt was a decent price. It's only missing one tenion piece for the mounting bracket. It has a small crack on the rear overhang on the stationary jaw. The screw has some wear in the middle but is still solid. I'm pretty excited about it. It came with 1/4 inch of grime and grease all over it. Apparently the only use it's seen is years was to hold pieces together for welding. The top surface of the jaws has a few small arc marks and some spatter. About five inches up the leg there are arc marks, it looks like someone may have tried to weld something there or either some metal transfer from a poor welding machine ground clamp.

IMG_2516.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like maybe the jaws are a little bit spread on the top...maybe not, as you didnt mention it.  My first one was widely spread and useless to the owner so I took it off his hands.  I took it apart, wire brushed it to a nice blue black patina and had an accomplishd self employed mechanic strighten it out easily with a hydraulic press.....he called it "butter iron".