I Forge Iron

Sharpening a knife

I'm so glad I didn't have any coffee.....the Dr. Pepper kinda burns the nose too though. So... I'm not the only one to strop on my jeans.

Tried the soapy water thing, really didn't like it. This reminds me of yet another Woodwright's Shop episode. The one where they looked at Japanese planes that cut shavings measured in microns.  Circa 2006 or so, you can still find it online on PBS. They spent a good bit of time talking about sharpening on Japanese stones.

One of the problems with oil stones is the gumming up effect of oxidized oil and fine steel particles.  I acquired a stone at a garage sale that was so clogged that I gave away to a co- worker.  He passed a steam cleaner across it and had a good Norton stone.  He busted my chops at lunch for a month.

A good soak in solvent will reserect most hard stones, but hot water and dishwasher detergent works neily as well. 

My old teacher recommend a good boil in dishwasher detergent, preferably in a covered pan that you didn't plan to cook in ever again.

I have a great 2 X 72 grinder that makes easy work of sharpening most any blades!  Due to my current lifestyle I can't always have it nearby though.  When I am not able to use it, I choose diamond hones to maintain my edges.  I will hone with 600 grit and follow with 1,000 grit then polish a bit with a steel.  This will usually get me to an edge that will shave hair!  If I have to set up a new edge without my grinder, I will use a coarser 240 grit diamond stone or a file.  I have all types of water and oil stones... my time is too valuable to waste using them!  Just a hint from my experience.  If I had limited money to spend... I'd not waste it on water or oil stones!  Power stone grinders are almost useless as well... get a belt grinder!

A LOT of people make the mistake of using cooking oil on the kitchen oil stone and most cooking oils will polymerize and that REALLY gums up a stone. 3 in1 oil doesn't but you have to wash the knives after honing, it's NOT good to eat. I just run my kitchen stone through the dishwasher once a week or so. They're dishwasher safe you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

The risk in using the dishwasher isn't to the sharpening stones.  Its what could happen if you're not the one emptying the dishwasher after the cycle has run.

I don't get the sense of the fault. Do you really have someone in the family who can't tell the difference between dishes, cutlery, cook ware and a sharpening stone? Maybe tell them what it is, even show them how to use it?

My Father taught me to sharpen knives when I was about 8 and he didn't consider a knife sharp that wouldn't shave.

Frosty The Lucky.

I think he has fear of the "stoneing" he kay get from his wife for finding a "nast old tool/rock in "her" dish washer, Jerry. Lol

niw the fact that I have put automotive parts in the dish washer has nothing to do with it...

Bu th way here is the paper i was refering to, he uses an electron microscope to examin the edges...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/knifeshexps.pdf

Edited by Charles R. Stevens