I Forge Iron

My Work for the last few nights.

I have made a hammer and small ax drift, set of hot punches and chissels, and have started turning an old 16oz ball pein hammer head into a small bushcraft or shop hatchet for splitting small wood and what not. Tell me what you, any tips tricks or knowledge, or anything that could make me a better blacksmith. I have only been at this for about 3 weeks now.

0914151950a.jpg

0914151950c.jpg

0914152027 - Copy - Copy.jpg

0914152027b - Copy.jpg

0914152027c - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

0914152028.jpg

0914152028a.jpg

0916152327.jpg

From the first photo it looks like you may have tempered your drift? If so you would be better off bringing it up to forging temp and slow cooling it. You don't want those tools hard. When you insert the drift in the eye and hammer down the cheeks you don't want the drift snapping. My hammer punches and drifts are all untempered and work just fine on hot steel. Driving a punch through a two inch round at forging temp would mess up any tempper you put in your punches anyway. If I'm seeing something that isn't there correct me. Looking good. The little ball pein hammers make good hot sets too. Grind a chisel bevel on it and handle it and use it with a soft backing plate on top of the anvil and you have another shop tool. If you make a hot set it will still split kindling but if you make a hatchet the thinner blade section won't hold up for hot cutting. Hot set = two tools in one.

Edited by TwistedCustoms

Rather than chopping at the small pieces of wood needed to start up a coal or coke fire with a hatchet, I'd suggest using your hot cut hardy instead.  I used to use a hatchet, but found it to be very easy to miss those small pieces of wood and come dangerously close to damaging a finger or the anvil surface.  With a hardy you just put the small block on top and hit it with a hammer.  I have a commercially made hardy which is forged at an angle similar to a splitting wedge and it works very well, much better than any hatchet.

Rather than chopping at the small pieces of wood needed to start up a coal or coke fire with a hatchet, I'd suggest using your hot cut hardy instead.  ..... With a hardy you just put the small block on top and hit it with a hammer. 

Concur.

I use the same technique, ... but use a rubber mallet to strike the wood .....