I Forge Iron

Muriatic acid

Iceman_713

Not sure if Im posting this in the right subforum but here goes.

So I was cleaning out My folks garage and came across three one gallon jugs  muriatic acid used in concrete finishing, the only think I can think of doing besides taking this to hazmat for disposal if they would even take it. would this work good for etching and bringing out the patters in a "Damascus" billet/blade etc??

Thanks for the help Guys!

I'll let someone who knows about etching and blades answer the specifics, but just a word of caution in case you're unfamiliar with it, muriatic is nasty, nasty stuff.  I keep some around that I begrudgingly use to remove scale because it is so quick and effective, but I look like I'm cooking meth in my backyard when I use it, respirator, safety goggles AND full face shield, rubber gloves.  Thank God for privacy fences or I'd probably have the local police asking exactly what in doing back there!   It should be used with full safety gear, the fumes alone are particularly noxious.

yes you can etch with it; and etch pattern welding with it; and remove scale with it---diluted please.  It will also remove zinc plating but then leave you with a toxic material to dispose of in a PROPER manner! (Farm Shop Practice mentions using the zinc chloride as a soldering flux for soft solder.)

yes you can etch with it; and etch pattern welding with it; and remove scale with it---diluted please.  It will also remove zinc plating but then leave you with a toxic material to dispose of in a PROPER manner! (Farm Shop Practice mentions using the zinc chloride as a soldering flux for soft solder.)

what ratio do you think would be a good for diluting the acid? do you mix it with distilled water or regular tap water?

Muriatic on its own isn't the best echent for most pattern welded steels, but it's an excellent pickle for removing scale and oxidation - takes some time though. You can also make Ferric Chloride with it and a video can be found in the alchemy section.

J

what ratio do you think would be a good for diluting the acid? do you mix it with distilled water or regular tap water?

look on the bottle, I'll bet it's already diluted, 20-30% solution is pretty common at big box stores, at least round here.  Some advise further diluting, I think to achieve about 50%?  But I use mine at the 20% off the shelf "green" solution.

Muriatic acid is hazardous as are other things around the shop.  I started off using 20% vinegar to remove scale.  As I ran low on vinegar, I had a gallon of muriatic acid.  I diluted it in a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 1/2 gallons of water and now use this for scale removal.  It works much faster then the vinegar and though there are hazards involved, I do not feel that they compare to the hazards of using a wire brush on an angle grinder.  I do use a coated wire to hold the items that are place in the bucket to reduce potential contact.

FYI - Muriatic acid is great for cleaning aquariums.  It cleans off any of the water deposits and quickly and easily dilutes and is completly safe for the fish.

Muriatic acid, impure diluted hydrochloric acid,  is great stuff for a number of things.  However,  do not store anywhere near finished steel surfaces.  My mother, bless her dear heart, kept a plastic gallon jug of hydrochloric acid in my fathers tool shop after he died.   When I went into the shop to clear out after she died I discovered that every tool had a fine coat of rust.

Hydrochloric acid is a SOLUTION, Hydrogen chloride dissolved in water.  This means that unless the plastic is impermeable to the gas and tightly sealed every change in air pressure will vent some Hydrogen chloride into the surroundings. Word to the wise, a lot of plastic containers in which hydrogen chloride was shipped and may still be shipped are not impermeable to Hydrogen chloride vapor.

I chose to dispose of the muriatic acid by going to the Home Depot and buying a bag of ground limestone,  dividing acid in several 5 gallon plastic buckets, diluting with water, and adding lime stone to the buckets a little at a time.  I takes a surprisingly long time to get all of the acid killed.  The end result is perfectly safe to add to your vegetable garden and may improve you tomato production.     

Edited by Charlotte
spelling punctuation

Take a small quantity and dissolve some Zinc  into it. Makes a great flux for soldering magnetic S/s. Use it to strip zinc off  galvanized stuff prior to welding/forging.(if the stuff is cleaned prior to immersion the result if flux)

Edited by ianinsa